We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please asap

england
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Topic
Help please asap

Hi, We are looking at going back to the Maldives. We were originally looking at Feb/ March but the prices have gone up that much we cant afford it then. We are now looking at Dec. Could anyone tell me if they have been in December and what the weather was like.

Many Thanks

Julie

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please asap

Hi there...Dec thru April is commonly seen as the best time to go, its the dry season, although it is one of the two monsoon seasons, confusingly enough.

Weather should be warm and dry,,I wouild go for it.

Weather can't be accurately predicted until about 3 days before hand, and even then it can vary from atoll to atoll - I got this link from Emu a couple of years ago, and I think its the best.

http://www.meteorology.gov.mv/

Have a great trip,,

england
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please asap

Hi Froggy, thanks for your quick reply, We went in November the first time and had three full days of rain. Hopefully then by december it will be getting better.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please asap

still trying to find the reason for the "asap" ..

december is a pretty mixed month and in the same price bracket as jan through april . personally, i wouldn't chance it for the money .

being that you are going to pay high season prices anyhow, i'd go for feb/march for best chance of good weather

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please asap

Hi Julie

Spammie is right. You will pay about as much in December as you would in January or February.

December is traditionally the beginning of the dry monsoon season, so the weather can be a bit unsettled. However, you would be unlucky to have rain for days on end.

We were in the Maldives late-November to 10 December last year and the weather overall was very good. It did rain but mostly at night, with one day where there was perhaps 4 hours of rain. Other than that it was blue skies, some light cloud and hot, hot hot!

OD

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please asap

Hi

we were there first two weeks in dec last year and our friend were there middle two weeks and the weather was very mixed for the whole time, probably the first week was the best but that doesn't mean it will be the same this year !!!!!

.......susie

england
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please asap

Thats the trouble, its alot dearer in jan feb and march than december, we have had many quotes and thats the problem we r having. Like u all say, its expensive and we want to get best poss weather, but being tropical not easy to know.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please asap

if i were a betting person, looking for the cheapest price/best weather relation , i would go for the first 2 weeks in may without hesitation.

december wouldn't be worth the gamble to me.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please asap

Hi Julie

For a start I'd query the prices as has been said December is normally the same as Jan/Feb (except for Christmas/New Year) and a lot of resorts get cheaper after 18th Feb don't ask me why.As has also been said December has had some iffy weather of late later is safer

Regards

Doug

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please asap

I certainly wouldnt rush into anything, take your time and search around for the best deals. What with swine flu going round and the general recession, you might be able to get a really good deal on somewhere.

Spalding...
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please asap

Just got prices for Dec 7th - 14 nights and same hol Feb 6th - 14 nights. Feb hol worked out £1400 more. So asked her to price it for Jan 3rd/4th and it was exactly the same as Feb. Have they re-structured their pricing now aswell??