We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next Question! - All inclusive?? what does it truly mean

Maidstone, Kent, UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Next Question! - All inclusive?? what does it truly mean

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your help on looking at tour provides (believe it or not thomson is the cheapest we have found and that includes direct approach!)

We were really keen on Sun Island however some of the reviews on the All Inclusive-ness of the island are very disappointing. I go all inclusive because I dont want to have to worry about spending loads more when I get out there!!

We have also been considering Cuba, could you experienced travellers comment on which our best option is on the all inclusive?

Also if anyone has been to similar rated resorts in the Maldives and found the AI to be truly AI can you also post a quick note!

Thanks in advance

Kerren

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Next Question! - All inclusive?? what does it truly mean

The Maldives all inclusives...meals are usually buffet style in the main restaurant, if there is another (a la carte perhaps)restaurant on the island, you will usually get a contribution to eat in it, (or some allow you dine in there once a week).

Drinks....not usually top shelf brands, but depends on the island.

Most will include watersports, perhaps an hour a day for example.

If you want to be sure you are aren't missing out, you might want to consider a small island that has only one restaurant.

I've been to both the Caribbean and The Maldives and the Maldives wins hands down in my opinion :-)

London, England
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next Question! - All inclusive?? what does it truly mean

perhaps i can help - we went AI in the Maldives last December and to Cuba AI in May.

Buffet quality - maldives wins hands down. Fantastic food, piping hot, not repetative. Cuba was luke warm, not good quality and basically the same every day.

Al a carte reataurant. Included within the AI in Cuba and ours were very good - but we did go to the number 1 rated 5* hotel in cuba. You usally pay extra for al a carte dining in the maldives.

Drink. Basically everything was included in cuba. Top shelf drinks, cocktails, mini bar where as these are not normally included in the maldives. the island we go to (lily beach does include coocktails of the day in it's AI option and also has branded spirits such as Bacardi and London gin as it's house brand). We only paid extra for a couple of bottles of wine and champagne.

Beaches and sealife. maldives easily wins though it was very good in Cuba. Can't beat that solitude and quiet in the maldives - no mad canadians running riot in the swim up bar.

Service. maldives wines again. The staff cannot do enough to help you and you don't mind tipping them because you got good service. in cuba we found that unless we tipped the service we received was pretty bad.

Where would we go back to? Well we're going to the maldives in December and again in may! Once you go to the maldives, you never want to go anywhere else. You care if your bar bill at the end of your stay is a couple of hundred US dollars. It's definitely worth it.

England
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Next Question! - All inclusive?? what does it truly mean

Hi Kerren,

It all depends on which resort you go to, I've been to several all inclusives in the Caribbean, including Cuba and also been all inclusive twice in the Maldives. Whereas in the Caribbean, everything is truly all inclusive, you have to be a bit more careful in the Maldives because of the high price of imported goods. For example, the spirits are usually local (sri lankan) and you will be lucky to find whisky, there is usually a cocktail of the day, but if you want anything else, you have to pay extra. I have a friend who went to Kuredu last year and had to pay extra for bottled water!

Food quality obviously varies from island to island, as it does anywhere, we thought the food in Cuba was great and can recommend the Paradisus Rio de Oro in Guardalavaca if you want a great hotel.

Maldives scores the highest when it comes to the sea, it's beyond compare. My perfect combination would be a carribean all inclusive resort set on a Madivian beach !

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Next Question! - All inclusive?? what does it truly mean

Hi Kerren,

With all the above replies in mind, I believe that Thudufushi and Athuruga in the Maldives are what you would call real AI. They include the minibar and I think they only have one restaurant, so no problem there. They also include a laundry service! The resorts look great - Kuoni go there. They are small islands compared to Sun, so not sure if they would suit you anyway. Hope this helps though.

Regards, Lisa.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Next Question! - All inclusive?? what does it truly mean

Not all the bars and restaurants are all inclusive. The Thai and Italian restaurants and the Piano Bar and various other bars dotted around are not part of the all inclusive deal nor is the mini bar.

Only the large main bar, the the pool bar and the main restuarants are all inclusive.

Unfortunately because of this these other places are empty most of the time which is a pity because I am sure they would have been used if they had been all inclusive.

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Next Question! - All inclusive?? what does it truly mean

Kerren ,We are returning to Sun nxt week for a 3rd time.

All inclusive everywhere seems to have some hidden costs.All in all we have found Sun to be ok as long as you read what you get.You will pay extra for eating in the Thai and Italian restaurants but its no more than a takeaway at home.Most holiday companies throw in a couple of free trips in your package.Sun is one of the larger islands which also has its own hospital.You can always find seclution there.

We spend around £100 extra over 14 days.

Any questions please post.

GRA