We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

I have given up on my trip to the Maldives, India, and Nepal. I'm quite upset and sad, but I can't deal with rain in the Maldives for 4 days and 120 degree weather in India for 5 days. I guess I'll find somewhere else to go this time of year...

London, England
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

Librahi,

For me the issue is not the weather but the distance and length of time being spent in the Maldives. I can understand that you are thinking I'm only there for four days and if it rains the time is so short it'll wash out the experience. Really though travelling from the States to the Maldives is hard and four days is not long enough. Two weeks would be needed. Then you wouldn't worry about the weather. I also have stopped doing 'short whistle stop' tours because I hate the re-packing and moving on. If you know that somewhere is special you want to spend all your time there. For me the Maldives fits the bill.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

um... i get the vague feeling that we are supposed to feel guilty for ruining your trip by explaining what the weather might be like in the rainy season..

very sorry about that .. but the facts stand . you could very well have 4 days of bright sun , just as well as 4 days of storm and rain. somewhere along the line , someone named it "rainy season" :)

but i am pretty sure we didn't talk you out of nepal and india .... didn't you at one time talk about going to egypt instead ? i even gave you a recommendation for a lovely destination there. here is good news : the chances of rain in egypt at that time of year are pretty much nil.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

Librahi

May be next year.

OD

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

hey listen, no one talked me out of it. you give the facts and that's what i asked for. i'm only worried about what could happen. i've talked to someone recently about the maldives and they are similar to me. they said after 5 days, they were pulling their hair out from boredom, that 3 or 4 days is plenty enough with there being so little to do. that's why i want to spend only 4 days there.

my issue isn't so much about getting rained out (which i think is unlikely). it's about there being a lot of clouds and the water not being perfect as you would expect in the maldives (is it mainly cloudly right now too?). i'm a photographer too and would hate to miss my chance on some great shots... but NOT my reason either. then, there is india. 120 degrees and dusty and humid as heck. then, nepal could be rainy as well as the end of june usually brings the rain and if it's cloudy, i won't be able to see the mountains or enjoy my time. then there are the power outages and protests.

sounds like i'm overthinking it but it could turn out to be a disaster if all these things actually happen!

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

Oh dear "IF" such a small word with such big consequences ;-)

.......susie

usm
essex, england
Level Contributor
304 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

Crikey, librahi, ever considered positive thinking ? If you always think the worst you'll never go anywhere. Go on, take a chance....

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

shall i shant i --shall i shant i

travel the world withougt going anywhere decisions decisions, could always stay at home and have a cup of tea, lol.

R

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

Can I recommend Iceland? this time of year sees very stable all be it London style weather! and the drinks are about the same price as the Maldives.

;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

I;m in london now - can assure you of four seasons in one day:-))

sussex. uk
Level Contributor
308 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All This Talk Of Bad Weather....

good job we don't all think that way otherwise the travel industry would be a mere distant memory. Given the world's topsy turvy weather systems of recent years, no where is going to guarantee the 'perfect' time to go.

Shame we can't conduct polls on this site as it would be interesting to see how many have actually suffered 3/4/5 continuous days of rain in their trips to Maldivian islands. I for one would not be able to say that I had....thankfully! Having said that now hope it don't change in our next trip in 14 days time ;)