We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov. Honeymoon - Bali, Seychelles, Maldives, or elsewhere?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nov. Honeymoon - Bali, Seychelles, Maldives, or elsewhere?

My fiance and I will be taking a trip around the world for our honeymoon in November. Starting in New Zealand and working our way west from there. We'd like for one week of the trip to be in a beach area. Last year, we were in Krabi, Thailand and we fell in love with the crystal clear waters, snorkeling/amazing coral and fish, and white sand. We like the seclusion but still enjoy the nightlife, hiking inland, kayaking, and culture. Since we are *literally* planning the trip of our dreams, any recommendations on best beach locations? Right now we're exploring Bali, Seychelles, and the Maldives, but we are open to any suggestion. Thanks for your help!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,490 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov. Honeymoon - Bali, Seychelles, Maldives, or elsewhere?

well.. unfortunately , the maldives cannot provide any nightlife, hiking inland or much culture. you might be better of with seychelles or mauritius as far as those are concerned.

having said that, i am partial to the maldives any day :)

UK
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov. Honeymoon - Bali, Seychelles, Maldives, or elsewhere?

I haven't been to the Maldives yet but it sounds a bit quiet for what you are looking for. Seychelles is absolutely stunning and has everything you mention apart from the nightlife (which is pretty much non-existant, there may be a little bit in Victoria on Mahe but it's not what you go to the Seychelles for). To get the best of the Seychelles you really need to visit more than one island - I would recommend Praslin and one of the small, outer coralline islands, such as Denis or Desroches which are similar to Maldivian islands.

Out of Bali and the Indian Ocean islands I would pick Seychelles for the trip of my dreams, although that may change after I've been to the Maldvies :-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov. Honeymoon - Bali, Seychelles, Maldives, or elsewhere?

Avoid Bali, it's not very nice. Lombok next door is a nicer island imho (has a volcano to hike), is quieter in general but Gili Islands nearby provide a good mix of beachy, snorkel, diving and partying. It's a little backpacky though for a honeymoon.

dubai
Level Contributor
254 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nov. Honeymoon - Bali, Seychelles, Maldives, or elsewhere?

No trip of a lifetime would be complete without

1 - Maldives

2 - Masai Mara

Neither offer much in the way of nightlife - but you can't really miss either of them out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nov. Honeymoon - Bali, Seychelles, Maldives, or elsewhere?

My husband and I have been very lucky to have been to both the Seychelles and the Maldives. We went to the Seychelles for our honeymoon in September 2007 and had an amazing time. The first week we stayed on Mahe, and it was really lovely to snorkel and have the option to explore if we wanted to. The second week we stayed at Labriz on Silhouette Island, and this was paradise. A rather large island, but still felt secluded. Snorkelling/diving was a little difficult here as the water was rather choppy. The one thing I would say about the Seychelles is it is very green and lush and the people are so lovely.

We went to the Maldives in October 2008, and again had a truly amazing time. If you are after total seclusion and idyllic life, then I would recommend the Maldives. The snorkelling/diving is the best I have ever seen. It really was a 'no news, no shoes' holiday, and we just can't wait to go back.

If you are after total seclusion away from everything, then I would recommend the Maldives. If you want the option to have seclusion but to also visit the local town and walk about and explore, then I would recommend the Seychelles. Whatever you choose, will be idyllic.

Hope this helps.

Belfast
Level Contributor
767 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nov. Honeymoon - Bali, Seychelles, Maldives, or elsewhere?

Bali in November is very, very humid. The snorkeling is not brilliant around the mainland, but supposed to be good off some islands whiich boat trips go to. The island is very beautiful, actually stunning in places,& has a fantastic culture. It's also very cheap to eat out & there is good nightlife in some resorts. It's best to go there June to August when the humidity is bearable. I definately want to go back there.

The Seychelles have good snorkeling, especially on La Digue, but no nightlife or culture. Do not try to go to the niightclubs in Victoria- it's very, very dodgy. Been there got the t-shirt, as the saying goes.

The Maldives- some islands have good snorkeling &/or beautiful accomodation, but some are only so-so- you have to choose very carefully. Please bear in mind that most of the resorts are on very small islands & there is little to do except snorkel, sunbathe, eat & drink. This is the place if you want total relaxation.

Have you considred Madagascar? Some of the islands in the northwest have brilliant snorkeling, lovely scenery & fantastic wildlife. Nosy Be is lovely. However, we did this as a port of call on a cruise & I'm don't know how good the tourist infrastructure is here.

7. Re: Nov. Honeymoon - Bali, Seychelles, Maldives, or elsewhere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 05:18