We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21st birthday - best island for young ones

Liverpool
Level Contributor
196 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
21st birthday - best island for young ones

It is my daughters 21st and she wants a nice holiday in may next year for her and her boyfriend - they would like a stop off at Dubai and i thought maldives may be nice but wondered what the best island would be to suit their age group?

thanks

bev

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

hm.. i rather consider a 21 year old an adult with adult preferences .. so it would depend on what she likes to do.

there is no party island, the likes of ibiza, etc and nightlife is pretty much restricted to the occasional crab race or a wild and wooley kareoke night. most people in their twenties are probably in the maldives honeymooning. if you want to send her to a large island in hopes of her having a lot to do, look at sun island, kuredo or filitheyo.

if your daughter is a diver, i'd look at an island in the ari atoll .. if snorkeling is a priority, she needs an island with a good housereef. the rest is probably up to the budget of the paying party ..

Liverpool
Level Contributor
196 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

thanks for that super quick reply!

just checking that out before recommending anywhere just in case

thanks

what is the weather like in may?

thanks

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

Hi Bev,

The weather can be unpradictable in May-it is the start of the Monsoon, in saying that we go in May every year and are going again this comming May so not a problem, if it does rain and i say that because it can rain on one island and not on the one next door, it tends to be mostly of an evening or late afternoons, short sharp showers are the norm although again it can for 3 days on the trot, again it is still hot and you still get a tan and you can still burn.

Hope this helps.

Rumpole

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

Don't take her to the Maldives.

Come on, she's a kid.

Unless she and her boyfriend are avid divers I would assume that she would probably want to go some place more active.

Take her to New York, Hawaii, New Orleans, Cabo San Lucas, Jamaica, or the Caribbean.

Seriously.

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

Have a look at Kuredu as well

http://www.kuredu.com/

I have always seen lots of younger people at Male airport with their Kuredu wristbands on

Simon

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

It's a long way from Dubai to

New York, Hawaii, New Orleans, Cabo San Lucas, Jamaica, or the Caribbean.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

Well obviously if they went any of the places that I suggested they would probably forgo the Dubai part of the trip. I forgot to mention Las Vegas.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

Well obviously if they went any of the places that I suggested they would probably forgo the Dubai part of the trip. I forgot to mention Las Vegas.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

21 yrs old = a kid!! I wouldn't have taken kindly to someone calling me a kid at 21!

Every 21 year old is different, I was certainly a mature individual at that age with my own house, good job, responsibilities etc. You didn't see me out on the town getting drunk every weekend and wanting a summer holiday to Ibiza. I would have greatly appreciated a holiday to the Maldives at that age, as it happens I've had to wait another 5 years before I could afford one.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 21st birthday - best island for young ones

Okay I get the point about not being too general.

However, I believe, in my humble yet sometimes correct opinion that young people ages 21ish might need more stimulation than the maldives offer.

I mean I only work in market research and try to come up with things to sell to that age group, but what do I know?