We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather still bad in Maldives - Global Warming?

London
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Weather still bad in Maldives - Global Warming?

Hi, friends still out in the Maldives are still having rain. We had a week of it and returned on the 27th. Some locals were saying weather patterns had changed due to global warming. We have been over Christmas about 5 times before and once had bad weather for about 5 days just before Christmas. This time it seems to be lasting longer. Wondering if it is risky to book for next new year.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather still bad in Maldives - Global Warming?

Hi Diana

This year the Met Office promised the UK a long hot summer and a mild winter. The first forecast was shown to be spectacularly inaccurate and the second is heading that way.

Despite use of satellites, computers etc the weather still can't be forecast with any great accuracy. You have been to the Maldives before and so will know that December traditionally marks the beginning of the dry season. however, you will also know that this period of transition from wet to dry monsoons is typified by unsettled weather, with wind and rain. This year this period seems to be occuring at the end of the month. When it will occur next year who knows?

Mrs D and I came back a couple of weeks ago after a fortnight in Makunudu. Before we went there were lots of reportsof severe storms in the Maldives. We arrived in Male in very heavy, overcast conditions and we feared the worst. By the time we reach our island which was 1 hour away by speedboat, we had clear blue skies and sunshine. We had wall to wall sunshine for the next 2 weeks and the only rain occured once in the middle of the night.

Whether it will rain or not in December 2010 I can't say but if I were you I would book your holiday.

OD

Wales
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather still bad in Maldives - Global Warming?

Hi Diana,

Have not long come back from 2 weeks@Club Faru in November this year. Unfortunately out of 14 days , we had 10 days of really bad storms. This is our fourteenth year in the Maldives and this is the worst weather we have ever experienced. We are considering not going back to the Maldives as in the past few years the prices have soared. Looking around places like Mauritius are half the price of a two weeks hol All Inclusive to the Maldives.

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather still bad in Maldives - Global Warming?

Hi Diana

It can be really variable as you know. The first half of November was dreadful this year and then it was wall to wall sunshine for about five weeks. Last December we had had some terrible storms as well as some beatiful weather and the weather deteriorated in January when the monsoon changed. The staff at the dive centre at our resort said the monsoon had changed already early this year and that it was likely to be good for a few months ahead. Immediately we left the weather turned - which sadly was about the time you arrived. Four years ago we arrived to dreadful weather which continued for four days. After that it was fantastic. Last year, or maybe the year before, the weather in February was really bad. I've come to the conclusion it's nothing to do with global warming, but it's just very changeable. It's not going to stop us going there as there are very few places where you can guarantee no bad weather. Fingers crossed for better luck for you next time.

London
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather still bad in Maldives - Global Warming?

Yes, probably cheaper, but we went to Mauritius before we started to go to the Maldives and also had bad weather, plus we did not like the scenery as much! Now wondering about trying Thailand.

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather still bad in Maldives - Global Warming?

Diana

Thailand has to be tried, if only for the amazing scenery wonderful people and culture. We love it too. However, like anywhere else you can't guarantee the weather. We've had a lot of rain in December, but it doesn't stop us going back. I'd recommend you try two or three destinations. It sounds hard, but it's not. What we've done is three days up in the north in either Chaing Mai or Chaing Rai, back to Bangkok for a couple of days and then down south to Koh Lanta for 9 nights. If you have a look at my reviews you will see some Thailand ones, and if you need any help with ideas send me a PM.

6. Re: Weather still bad in Maldives - Global Warming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2010, 05:17