We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Under Water Cameras

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Under Water Cameras

Am starting on my "to do" list, under water camera ? Torn between new one (dedicated for hol), or a cover for existing one...are there any pitfalls? Am in "virgin territory", any advise welcomed.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Under Water Cameras

I'm going to buy a dedicated underwater camera because I don't want to risk using a cover for the main one and it leaking.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Under Water Cameras

Hi MrsP

I use a cheap Vivitar 6200 underwater camera which I bought about a year ago for £50 It is only waterproof to 10m but all I use it for is snorkelling. It has a 6Mp resolution and works fine, although it is a bit heavy on disposible batteries. I put a 2GB SD card in it and I can take over 600 photos. I just photograph anythinmg that moves or looks pretty and edit them all when I get back home.

OD

Surrey
Level Contributor
221 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Under Water Cameras

Hi

After having an expensive accident with a Sea Life camera I have now purchased a Canon Powershot D10 which can be used underwater up to 10 metres. I did some research looking at the quality of video and photos on Flickr and YouTube. I'm off the Maldives in 3 weeks time and can't wait to use it; hopefully posting some great pictures/videos.

Sid

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Under Water Cameras

Thanks for replies, am now concentrating on stand alone, don't want to risk the "cover thing" on existing camera....OD the amount you mention is not a million miles from the intended expense I had in mind, cant find a link, not at that price anyway. Mrs P.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Under Water Cameras

Hi MrsP

I think the vivitar I have has been superceded. On Amazon I found 2 other Vivitars:

V8400 which is an 8Mp version of mine - cost £80

Vivicam 5399 which seems to be an ordinary camera in a waterproof case. This costs £40.

OD

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Under Water Cameras

Thanks....Mrs P.

ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
992 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Under Water Cameras

In Maldives now. Was torn between Canon Powershot D10 and Olympus tough. Went for Canon. Really pleased with it. Got some lovely clear photos and very happy with it. Enjoy!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Under Water Cameras

Hi Mrs P,

I have a Fujifilm Z33 WP.... which, disappointingly, let me down before the end of my holiday. Perhaps due to a grain of 'parrotfish pooh' on the seal. But even before then, I found the viewfinder really difficult - fine on dry land but impossible to see once in the water. You may want to check out the viewfinder on whichever model you decide on. (I certainly wouldn't recommend my camera to anyone.)

Not a positive review, but sometimes it's handy to know what not to get!

Regards,

Abbi x

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Under Water Cameras

I am very happy with my Pentax Optio (W30, now superceded) - you can get the WS80 at £140 at amazon; waterproof (dustproof etc) to a few metres, suitable for snorkelling rather than diving. Good videos and great also as a compact camera for all year round.

I like the non-silver colours available at amazon - less likely to be mistaken for a fish!

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Under Water Cameras

We cant afford a new camera as spent a fortune on a normal one.

We were told about the disposable ones which are cheap but does anyone know what they are like picture qualitywise ?

I shall only be snorkelling.