We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

Burntwood
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

We have a week booked on Athuruga with Kuoni towards the end of February, having been told that the refurbishment would be completed in January. We have just received a letter from Kuoni informing us that the work will now continue to the end of March - "Hand and power tools will be in use and work will take place daily between 0800 - 1700 hours". The work apparently involves installation of the new water bungalows, which Kuoni say are approx 500 metres from the beach. The letter goes on to say that "Athuruga have assured us that guests in standard rooms (which we have booked) will be located on the opposite side of the island. We do not expect you to be unduly disturbed by this work project and you are free to stay at the hotel as planned."

Kuoni have offered to allow us to change to an alternative hotel without charging for amendments, provided that suitable alternative accomodation is available. We would need to pay the difference if alternative accommodation is more expensive and they will refund the difference if it is cheaper.

I have researched availability of appropriate alternatives, but there is nothing much left at this late date. We have paid almost £5,000 for the week and are concerned that it is a lot to spend to hear hammering and power tools day in, day out. Kuoni are not offering any compensation or a full refund. Should we go and put up with it or does anyone know of a suitable alternative that is available ? We have been to Baros, Filitheyo, Reethi Beach and Thudufushi previously, all of which we really liked, though Baros is now too expensive and appears to be the only one available.

Excellent snorkelling is essential for us (other forms of entertainment are not, nor is a spa or pool), and we chose Athuruga because we enjoyed the excellent food and all inclusive of the sister island Thudufushi.

Kuoni appear to have Angsana Velavaru, Velassaru, and Kuramathi Isand Resort available (but I'm not convinced that they meet our criteria - can any of you experts advise ?). Veligandu and Komandoo are not available. Vilamendhoo is 'on request' so may be a possibility - I know that it is not so luxurious, but seems to tick the other boxes quite well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gaynor

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

very sorry this is happening to you!

how about nika or lily beach ?

another alternative would be to just go .. and when you are there , and if its really loud ,raise a fuss with the general manager himself and see if he can get you moved to another island , regardless if its on kuoni's list. unfortunately, with only a week , this will cost you precious time.

has kuoni made any suggestions from their side ? it may well be worth your time trying to talk (firmly) them into allowing you to change for free to rangali or baros .. even if you have to present your argument to a few levels of management at kuoni.

Herts,UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

Argh!

We are booked to go on the 13th June for our honeymoon! Supposed to be in a water villa. Not sure what to do now?

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

Hi Gaynor

We were also due to visit Athuruga in Sep 09 but were able to cancel our holiday. If I were in your predicament at this late stage and bearing in mind from the islands you mention I have been to Reethi, Filitheyo and Vilamendhoo I would just stick to Athuruga as Spammie says and if really bad kick up a fuss once you are there building in the Maldives is usually low key. Vilamendhoo is very tatty compared to say Reethi and Filitheyo so would they give you some type of refund if you went there? Also standard rooms at Vila are in the middle of the island with some staff so if you do go insist on delux or superior.

Hope you get sorted

T23

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

Sorry .....and to add I have been to Kuramathi and if I had to pick between that and Vilamendhoo would go back to Kuramathi. (Even though I prefer smalll islands) unless of course they give you a discount for Vila.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

Hi Gaynor

A tough one! I have to say that on this forum we were all beginning to wonder about the Athuruga building works going over schedule. It all seemed very quiet which was a bad sign.

Athuruga is a very small island and if the building works are genuinely 500m away, then they must be well out over the sea. It is therefore quite possible that the noise etc may not be too bad.

At this late stage I think I would be inclined to do as others suggest and go and complain when you get there. If an island move was out of the question they could always compensate you with champagne and lobster at frequent intervals as these are not covered by your AI package.

OD

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

As i have said in another post, our trip Nov 09 to Thudufushi 90% sure we passed over the building of Athuruga ,,,,, from what i could see there is a very long jetty with villas at the end and a large circular structure half way along i would say bar/restaurant .

We know all about delayed finishing dates that is why we left it to May to go ,,,, really hope it is finished by May ,,, if not we would happily go to Thudufushi as an alternative ,,, that's if it is still open..

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

i am convinced that thudufushi will stay open until athuruga is fully operational - anything else simply doesn't make sense

Burntwood
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

Thanks very much everyone for the advice. I will contact Kuoni and express my concern and enquire about alternatives, but I think we will probably still go to Athuruga, and do as suggested if it is too disruptive. The concern I have with that, however, is that will they (Athuruga or Kuoni) say that we were warned about it prior to going, and that would negate any complaints from us. Kuoni say that they do not expect us 'to be unduly disturbed' - I guess it will come down to a definition of that. I hope that I am worrying over nothing, but having been next door to refurbishment work last year in Borneo, I know how much constant hammering and drilling can get on your nerves!

Hopefully the work will be finished well before the person who said that they were going there for their honeymoon in May. I will update with progress and the impact of the disturbance when I return.

Gaynor

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

As you say it is down to the definition of "unduly disturbed". Hearing the odd power tool going now and then, and still having use of all facilities may be deemed to be acceptable....constant noise from early morning until sunset and/or having facilities not available due to the work is not.

If you are contacting Kuoni - tell them what you would be prepared to accept (I'd do it in writing). Then if it worse than you were expecting kick up a fuss.

As an example when we were at Reethi Beach in July, there was some work going on adding a platform and refurbing one of the jetties. There was some noise, but it wasn't constant and it didn't spoil our enjoyment, That would be my definition of being unduly disturbed..

Best of luck, and hope it works out OK when you go.

regards

Ian

Edited: 06 January 2010, 12:43
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athuruga refurbishment to continue until 31 March. Advice ?

Just to add...if you are going end of Feb, and they are planning on being ready for end of March, you would realistically only be expecting interior works being done to the water villas, in which case there hopefully shouldn't be too much noise....

Ian