We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

athuruga

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
athuruga

hi to you all has anybody herd any thing about the island yet

Marden, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: athuruga

I wrote to them for more information on the new water villas and received this reply:-

"Many thanks for your email. Please note that unfortunately we do not have any official information or description yet. As soon as possible we will give all information needed to all our Tour Operators partners.Many thanks in advance for your understanding"

uk
Level Contributor
852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: athuruga

I know they have been delayed. I have heard that guests arriving next week cannot go to the island even in Beach Bungalows. They hope to have the island opened by the end of the next week, except the Water Bungalows. These will not be completed until Mid March I think.

The good thing about the resort, is that it is already an established resort so its not going to have the usual teething problems that new resorts have when they first open, or even a resort that has upgraded themselves from 4 to 5 star. Often these resorts that upgrade themselves have teething issues with service etc because the staff haven't been re-trained to give five star service.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: athuruga

agree with nefertari about no need to expect too many problems , once the hardware is in place. as soon as building is completed, they should be functional at normal standard, i would think.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: athuruga

Hi

I heard from them some weeks ago when they told me the island would be reopening on 31 January. This was a delay of a fortnight on the previous opening date. From what Nefertari has said, it seems the opening has been pushed back yet again.

It's not just the completing of the WVs that is critical. They are going to have their own dedicated restaurant, so that, too, needs to be fully functional.

OD

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: athuruga

There should not be to much trouble with the staff as some of them where on Thudufushi in November awaiting to return to Athuruga .

manchester
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: athuruga

Any further news on the reopening of Athuruga, my wife and myself are going 16/5/2010 for 2 weeks, it is now the beginning of March and no new

Athuruga Bound

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: athuruga

hi,

My husband to be and I are flying out to Athuruga 17th May 2010 for our honeymoon, we went in to Kuoni at the weekend to pay our balance and we asked how the Island was going with regards to reconstructing, they contacted the resort for us while we were there via telephone and we were told that all work has pretty much been completed and was just work going on, on the new water bungalows but beach cottages were all complete and all work will be finished by the end of March. So looking forward to it, we have never been before so will be a very relaxing new experience for us!.....(probably see you there thewanderer10!!)

manchester
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: athuruga

Hi,

Thanks for the info, it is our fourth visit to Athuruga and have yet to be disappointed and can assure you it is very relaxing. If you are up for it I can recommend the big game fishing, although not cheap it is a great experiance. We are travelling out on 16/5/2010 arriving at Athuruga 17/5/2010 with BA from Gatwick. Have a wonderful wedding, looking foreword to meeting you

Lincs.
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: athuruga

Hi Abs32,

Would really appreciate any info. on Athuruga after your honeymoon in May as we are doing the same in June. Especially interested in the development of the water bungalows. Hope you have a lovely wedding and a fantastic honeymoon.

Edited: 17 March 2010, 22:00
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: athuruga

I wish someone would hurry up and let us all know about the new Athuruga

refurb, the suspence is driving me MAD!!!!!!!!, only 43 days to goooooooo!!!

CAN'T WAIT LOL.