We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any help with affordable resorts?

Spain
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any help with affordable resorts?

Hi!

I need some help on deciding which resort to choose.We are going 4 days to Maldives in August after being in Sri Lanka for 20 days and I'm not able to find any affordable resort which looks really attractive to me.

I have found some resorts for a good price: Embudu, Adaaran Club Rannaalhi, Bandos and Asdu.

It is maybe the only time we'll go to Maldives , so we would like really nice beach with soft sand , a beach hut or bungalow , good snorkeling ... AI if posible.

I have also found Biyadhoo, and although price is good and beach seems to meet the requirements of a nice beach and environtment, I don't like rooms being in blocks. I don't mind staying at a simple room, buy I would prefer a beach bungalow.

We don't mind to spend a little bit more if the resort is worth the price.

What I'm really afraid is to spend a fortune on 4 nights accomodation and to be disappointed.

Any help, please?

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

Originally we were going to stay at Holiday Island as it was well priced and very cheap but decided (like yourselves) that as our first time, and possibly only time, we would throw a bit more money in to it and went with Sun Island just across the way.

But this website may help you out a bit.

http://www.maldives-resorts-hotel.com/

Needless to say after our first trip to Sun Island we have been back a further 3 times...

uk
Level Contributor
852 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

Four days is not long to spend in the Maldives, but something is better than nothing. Sri Lanka is beautiful and well worth a tour but i certainly would be inclined to reduce my number nights in Sri Lanka and extend in the Maldives if possible.

Kuramathi might be a good choice for you as they offer all inclusve, its a beautiful natural island, with lovely beach and stunning sandbank at one end. Good house reef and they have just renovated the rooms so they are a good standard as well. To be honest if this is your first visit to the Maldives I don't think you will be disappointed as the the beaches and crystal clear waters are amazing and you are not likely to spend too much time in your room. Eriyadu is another simple resort, lovely beach, good snorkelling and although the rooms again are quite simple, they are semi detached so in blocks of two rather than double story rooms.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

If you are looking at similar prices to Biyadhoo, then check out Summer Island Village , no reef but trips to local reef and snorkelling is supprisingly good around the jetty even though no reef to speak of, its ,good beach on one side and AI, or Filaholi, reasonable reef, beach villas but only FB.

I would also agree with Nefertari about cutting down the days in Sri Lanka and if you can spend more then her selections.

Sg

Spain
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

Thank you all for your help!

I was wrong with days in Sri Lanka. We are only 15 days. (and I think we will need them as we want to tour the island) We are 20 days in holidays!! So, 20 days altogether...

It's not possible to cut down the days in Sri Lanka anyway. We already have the flights to Colombo wich include 4 days stop in Maldives.

I will take a look at the resorts you recommend me. Nefertari, when you are talking about Kuramathi, do you mean Kuramathi Island resort? It seems to be more than one Kuramathi resort... It looks wonderful but a little too big to me...I would prefer somewhere smaller.

K1w1brad the recommended site is really helpful, as there are rates for all resorts. But as it happens at other sites, I'm only able to find rates until April..Do you know when summer rates will be ready? I have this problem with many resorts....

I think it's the first time I need so much time to find somewhere to stay :) I'm getting crazy with so many resorts........

Edited: 10 February 2010, 20:14
SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

Hey there M5

I would've thought the prices for the Island would've been out by now but you can double check with your agent to see when they release these prices. I believe (I could be wrong) that prices are release at least 6 months earlier or even half way through previous season. Eg: for winter they release price halfway through summer, for wet season they release halfway through the dry.

But just to make sure maybe check with the people you booked your holiday with.

Sorry not very helpful but hope it helps somewhat.

Brad

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,618 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

i would recommend makunudu and dhiggiri .. they tick all your boxes

Spain
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

Thank you Brad!!

We are independent travelers. I have booked only flight to Colombo and Maldives , so no agent to ask ;)

That's the problem ... I can't get rates for many resorts in August at Maldives sites on-line, and I have to ask per e-mail, operator by operator..

I have found on Expedia , Maayafushi Resort for a really good price with AI.

And it looks a really nice place.. What do you think?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

Hi

Maayafushi is a lovely little island with reasonable snorkelling. You say you've found a good price. Does that include the transfer? Most transfers to the island are by seaplane although you may be able to get a speedboat transfer. Transfers can add quite a bit to the price so do check it out. As Spammie suggests, Dhiggiri is another one that would fit the bill. Makunudu is a good bit more expensive but is a very pretty island. However, the beach is quite corally and the snorkelling isn't brilliant. Biyadhoo is fab if you can get past the rooms being in blocks.

SL

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,618 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

maayafushi is a great italian resort. a bit more lively than some but definitely no club-type athmosphere. good snorkeling and especially great diving nearby.

personally, i'd prefer dhiggiri because its such a beautiful island with powdersugar beach ... but i have been to both and would recommend them both.

Spain
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Any help with affordable resorts?

Thank you both!

Spammie I didn't see your previous post. We wrote at the same time ;)

Sunlover, no, transfer included. What you say is waht I inmediately thought.. too god price... that means very expensive transfer. But I can't find trasnfer prices anywhere...Also no Maayafushi web site..

I will take a look to Dhiggiri..

Thank so much everybody!! You are being really helpful to me!!