We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming and snorkelling

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming and snorkelling

Not being a very good swimmer, I can manage doggy paddle and float on my back just kicking my legs... I was wondering how I am going to get on in Meeru.

I only want to go in the shallow waters, which to me is about 6 foot deep. Am I going to get the biggest shock of my life cos all the water is really deep? I am pretty sure that I read it had a shallow lagoon..

Also, when you snorkelling do you actually put all your head under the water? I thought you would just paddle along with the face reasting ont the top of the water looking down? (does that make sense?) I know what I mean!

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

Hi Lizqm

All the islands have shallow lagoons some too shallow to swim in as far as snorkelling is concerned all you'll see is sand. You don't have to put your head right under water to snorkel but your face will be submerged to what extent depends on the conditions. Once you get to the drop off depths where there's something to see depths can vary enormously and since you will amongst coral you'll not be able to put your feet down anyway. You'll need fins and be strong enough to deal with any currents around

Regards

Doug

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

If you're feeling anxious I recommend using life vest. It will ensure you float with minimum energy spent. I can swim but personally always used life vest when snorkeling.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
953 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

I would recommend taking your snorkel and mask to your local pool to practice your technique before going on holiday to give you that bit of extra confidence.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

Do you have to go to the drop off points to see any thing? Will I not see some fish in the shallow waters? I am not a strong swimmer and would panic if I was in water that was really deep....

I am going to get a life vest as that will give me a small bit of confidence!

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

you will see the small fish in the shallows eg Nemo's but they are the babies, sometimes even baby sharks and rays come into the shallows especially in the evenings. It is just you can see more and the larger adult fish near or just over the drop off.

Sg

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
915 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

Hi Liz,

I'm sure you will be fine just do what you feel comfortable with. My first trip to the Maldives I didn't snorkel because I was scared of looking stupid! My phobia of the water is very bad (nearly drowned at school). I was so annoyed with myself that on my second trip I took the plunge but had a panic when I saw the drop off!! My third trip was amazing we went on a snorkel trip by boat and the crew were lovely,because of my fear they put the steps down on the boat just for me!! I held my hubbies hand so tight as we swam over the drop off and was so amazed at what we saw,the feeling of being out of my depth vanished and I relaxed and just floated along the reef edge kicking my feet. Last year we went to Fiha and I actually went to the drop off on my own,a personal challenge quite small to some but a challenge to me and we did a night snorkel!! I really think it's a good idea for you to have a practice or just practice in the lagoon until your comfortable and then go a bit further each day. It's the most incredible experience that I am now addicted to!! We are off again in May and my challenge is to jump in from the boat so watch this space!!!

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

Retrofunk

If you go to the end of the jetty at biya when there are no boats- you can step off into the deep,as the drop off comes close and its less of a drop than off the deck of a dhoni, so you will be another step closer so to speak :-).

Another tip is as you climb down the steps from a dhoni , fall in a step higher each time.

sg

sussex
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

to be honest all you really have to do to see loads of fish is find a small patch of coral in the lagoon (say knee deep) and just look in the water around the coral , if you have a mask just gently submerge your face and you will be amazed at the colours , once you get your confidence up there will be no stopping you!

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
915 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

Thanks sg,I will try that,if I don't post on here after we get back 24th May I've drowned!!! :0)))

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming and snorkelling

Swim/snorkle in pairs! My wife had the same phobia as you, until i took her with me, holding hands! Flippers give you great buoancy, and the strong hand of a man or woman will give you all the confidence you need. Start at the shallow bits and slowly go deeper or drop off's, this is were you see the real maldives! But take your time, it might take you to the second week, but it will be worth it!

Enjoy