We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Island Resort

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Island Resort

Think I am settling for this island. Does anyone know the email address or web site for me to contact with regards to rooms . I am hoping to have a room on the beach if poss. Also what is this island like for snorkeling ??

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Island Resort

reservations@sun-island.com.mv

Island is average for snorkeling. But if your first time to a reef (diving/snorkel) then it will be fine.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,474 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Island Resort

i would say its much less than average snorkeling ... but as k1w1brad says ... a first time visitor to the maldives should still enjoy himself immensely.

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Island Resort

We returned recently from Holiday Island (adjacent to SI), first timers, and we used the reef on Sun Island several times, more than enough for us, kept us occupied, plenty of fish,novices we are, but still enjoyed.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Island Resort

durie

You have picked the biggest island in the Maldives, Roads and all, you need bicycles to get from room to bar / dinning.The snorkeling is poor, the only place that is good is from the jetty at the Italian restaurant, because of this you have to plan your excursion and carry your gear , also as it is the best place it is always overcrowded, there is a wall both sides of the jetty and a drop into the blue, pleny of fish large and small, the main beach is the best although this is very open and used for Volley ball, there are not enough sun umbrellas, the pool is also on the main beech, the food was excellent as was the bar and entertainment. The main reef is accesed via boat trips, there are some good coral clumps dotted around but nothing great. As far as i can remember there are NO rooms on the main beach. Being a large island there is a lot of comming and going / traffic deliveries.

Rumps

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Island Resort

You don't necessarily need a bike on Sun Island. It depends on where your room is and if you're happy to walk - we were, even though from our room it was about a 12 min walk to the main restaurant. Also, snorkelling off the Italian restaurant may or may not be busy - we saw few people snorkelling there.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Island Resort

if you don't want the crowds we snorkeled/freedived off the drop off way out past the OWBs. A long way out but very good if you can be bothered getting out there. Plus no one around except you and your buddy.

We too had bikes but only used them once as the walk around wasn't all that bad.

Our room - Room 335 OWB.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrOKf9wDWtY

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Island Resort

Rumps,Rumps, Rumps, you really have a downer on Sun Island!!! Firstly there are LOADS of bungalows on the Main beach. If you stay in a superior bungalow, you have access direct to the beach (on the Italian side of the Island) with direct access to the sea. ( I know this because I have stayed in one) If you stay in a standard bungalow you may have some brush/palms in front of you, but you are still on the beach, thses are also nice and have direct access to the beach. Each bungalow has there own sun chairs to sunbath.

Roads, misleading Rumps. They are decorative combled wide paths. If you go to You Tube, type in Sun Island, you will see some great videos.

Again, agree with the points above that snorkling is good at Sun Island with some excelllent points to see ALL the fish the Maldives has to offer!!

There is also a website at www.villahotels.com

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Island Resort

Rousey ,

Rose tinted glasses, roads carry traffic tarmac- paved -cobbled or block paved, veteran of the great Sun island, I do not have a downer on the island, just as always tell it as it is.

Rumps

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,143 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Island Resort

Sun Island was our first island , we stayed in a superior room 410, a good 10-15 mins walk to the main buildings but looked directly on to the beach and the far side of the atoll. The paved pathways/roads were great if using a bike or riding the golf buggies ! Also loved watching the scooter bringing room delivery pizzas from the italian along the jetty. As a first island the snorkeling off the reef by the italian or around the WV was fine.There was a lot of activity including motorised water sports and its popular with families. We did find the main bar a bit loud at times but you can retreat to the beach bar We loved it at the time but now after several other island I would not go back, its just too big and does not meet our requirements especially snorkelling and no shoes / no news type which we prefer.

Sg

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Island Resort

Well I think this island looks gorgeous. I think I have fell in love with it and cant wait to go. So am going to call as many travle agents as poss and get the best deal I also want to make sure I have the seaplane transfer as I dont want to waste time with the speed boat. Thanks all for your help and advice. : )