We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best reccomended island for snorkeling

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
54 reviews
Best reccomended island for snorkeling

We`re looking at the Maldives for holidays next July and love snorkelling, which island has the best house reef ,but also accommodation.We`re looking at two weeks AI ,the travel agent suggested we may be stir crazy after two weeks ,We`ve just been to Cuba and all we did for two weeks was snorkel and swim so i think we should be fine for two weeks , thanks for any advice Jan

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

Hi Jan

If that's what you like 2 weeks in the Maldives fits the bill.

Take a look at--- Angaga---- Ellaidhoo ---- Fihalhohi----- Biyadhoo, 4 to start with

R

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,382 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

athuruga, thudufushi .. and your travel agent doesn't know what he is talking about - with all due respect :)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

I’ll second Angaga, it sounds perfect for what you want.

I also agree with Spammie on the travel agent –Rubbish! Hubby & I have never been bored once in the Maldives, we could easily spend three weeks there no problem. (Except the cost!)

The real problem is that once you have been you may well spend the rest of your life looking for a similar holiday destination - we still haven’t found one – we were told that the Seychelles were “the Maldives with scenery”- err no. Neither is Zanzibar & the Caribbean doesn’t come close.

There really isn’t anywhere like the Maldives- just go & get hooked!

P.S if anyone has found anywhere that compares please let me know!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

Hi

I'd suggest Biyadhoo - a good budget island - and Athruga - a good 4* island with excellent AI package.

OD

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

i dong think the travel agent we spoke go liked snorkeling so dont know why she chose their ,who would anyone reccomend to book with

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

Hi Jan

Can you give us an idea of total budget, as prices vary hugely between islands? Biyadhoo eg is a basic 2+* island at the lower end of the market (fab little island, my favourite) whilst Athuruga is a lovely 4* island. Again fantastic but getting on for 1.5x the price of Biyadhoo, if not more.

SL

Belgium
Level Contributor
70 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

PRICE - that's the question! We could book Athuruga this year for 6500 euros - 12 days. This is now 8440 for Feb/March 2011, also 12 days. It is a very good all-in, though.

Biyadoo is a "gem" but then you have to put up with the accomodations. Apparently Ellaidhoo and Madoogali are good as well and more reasonably priced. Travel agents really don't have much know-how or experience regarding the Maldives, so keep taking good advice from the people on this forum who really know what this paradise is all about.

After 7 times, we are totally "addicted" ...

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

i dong think the travel agent we spoke go liked snorkeling so dont know why she chose their ,who would anyone reccomend to book with

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

I agree Angaga is good for snorkelling but so is Vilamendhoo too, having done both. Vila is a bigger island than Angaga and has been tarted up a bit since we were there in 2004 but we absolutely loved it. Perhaps being bigger would help if you are afraid about getting bored?

Wid

sg2
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Best reccomended island for snorkeling

Jan

With regards of who to book with there are the biggies eg Hayes & Jarvis, Kuoni, First choice, but then there are the small independents eg Marks Travel and a few others who can tailor your trip.

I would agree with the ones suggested our favourite is Biyadhoo, you could also add Fihalhohi but they are only FB so what you save on the initial cost you will spend on drinks soft or otherwise..

Would also agree with Wid to have a look at vilamendhoo as the reef has a good rep but will only reopen in Dec after a refub, but it looks nice if the website is to be believed.

Sg