We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MV ORION liveaboard

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
MV ORION liveaboard

Hi

Has anyone been on this liveaboard around the islands? We have booked after reading a review on a scuba forum. we have been lucky enough to secure one of suites on board so really excited. any comments from previous guests?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Hello mate

I am a single traveller and just about to book the Orion myself over xmas and New year.

I have done the M V Monsoon in the North which was spot on but have read some really good reviews for Orion.

Ever suspicious though it does seem a little cheaper than other 'top end' boats.

There is a review on this forum from cavekrazi if you go into a question from nps London.Let me know what its like if you travel before me if not will do the same.

This will be my 6th visit to the Maldives,can't get enough of the place!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Hello

My husband and i have been on the M V Orion twice once in December and again at the end of April beginning of May, we are due to go again in October. I can honestly say the boat the crew and the diving are fantastic. Alex the boat director is also a dive instructor and is always very helpfull and trys to find sites which will give the guests the dive experience they are looking for. On each trip he managed to find Manta and Whale sharks. We have stayed on four different island in the Maldives but if its diving your after i would without any doubt recommend M V Orion

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Maldives diving was great, though some strong current when full moon. Orion boat is a good choice as it is still fairly new, about 1-2yr. Crew were helpful and attentive.

In terms of business ethnics, they are not very smart to offer price differences. It sucks to know some paid over US2500, while others paid US1500 for the same trip. Afterall, divers and divers do get to know each other, talk and share stories/information. Good trip, but felt short-changed after knowing what others had paid for. I will not recommend to others unless they are getting US1500(8D/7Ns) and not more.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Hopefully not a daft question but will being based on the water mean no mosquitos?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

no skeeters ! :)

dubai
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Hi,

This is a very interesting comment !

Actually, I'm about to book a trip on this boat (Orion) for 2300 USD in April and I would be very interested in getting some more informations : where can I find the chepaer price you're talking about !?

Thanks for this advise anyway.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

No skeeters, UNLESS they park you in the bay where they are building an airport, and then there are not only mosquitoes, but flying insects of all sorts - and don't forget the 360 degree view of CONSTRUCTION. awesome.

London
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

I too am looking at booking for $2300 p/p for 8 days - please advise the operator you used to get the same trip for $1500. Many thanks Angie angie@for-london.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Having just spent a week on MV Orion i have a few comments:

It's a poor design for divers, the "shop" is used as a store room, as is the "spa". The downstairs bar is not used as a bar at all.

The staff are good and work really hard, the barman is great and always on duty (also provides internet), there is limited seating in the bar area and all of it is movable chairs, there are no fixed benches etc, shade is also very lacking.

Because of the shop, spa and unused bar, the stairs to the bar deck are small and hazardous. in short there could be much better use of the space.

Rooms are good sized with good bathrooms.

Air Con on the ship is sadly lacking, dinning area is often too hot as were the cabins.

Food is good with a good variety.

All diving is from the Dhoni, which is far better then ribs, has loads of space, and even a shower and a toilet.

Diving was excellent as were the dive guides.

In short, compared to a typical red sea live aboard the cabins are much better and the Dhoni is better than ribs, the communal areas are poor.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,407 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

This information is great, & really helpful. As we are unable to review liveaboards on here we are trying to collect information (under FAQ) as it is really important to know what you are in for. If you are on a boat no getting away from a really bad situation or something that just isn't what you were looking for.

If any of you would think about writing a travellers article, like a review but without the personal bits, just objective, there are a lot of people who would be really grateful. Also a travellers article can be updated if things change on the boat and you can add pictures. Grumpsandharry is almost one already.

pfcsharky as a solo traveller is an important one to have as it is even worse if you don't like it and you are on your own.

It doesn't have to be long, just objective, whats there, whats not and who it might suit.

Have a great time all anyway, and at least post on the forum when you get back for the rest of us!

Edited: 06 May 2011, 19:26