We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

Hello- I will be on the Yasawa Princess later this month and was hoping for tips on where to find seahorses while snorkeling in the Maldives. Thanks!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

lots of places where you can see different species of pipefish .. but i have not seen seahorses specifically.

your divemaster would know and the briefing before each site will be sure to point them out if they can be found along your itinerary

Newark
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

Agree with spammie, have seen lots of pipefish but not one sea horse whilst in the Maldives. Not to say they are not there, the captain will know best. Good luck and enjoy.

London
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

I would love to see seahorses and asked my dive master about them on my recent dives He said that they mostly inhabit grassy areas that you don't find as frequently in the Maldives. He had never seen any, but he suspects that if you found you found the right habitat, they could be there (they are listed in most fish guides as being in the Indian Ocean). Since you have the benefit of a dive boat, with a bit of sleuthing, your dive master might be able to locate some areas that are more conducive to them or past sightings of them, you would have the best chance.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Edited: 13 December 2010, 10:15
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

Must admit I agree with Spammie and DN , seen plenty of pipefish. My understanding was they liked grassy seabed areas and I haven't seen many of them in the maldives but you never know.

Sg

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

I've just checked with our dive centre and they concur: no seahorses in the Maldives*. Plenty of pipefish and ghost pipefish though, but you'll need to dive, not snorkel, to see them.

*there are people who say they've seen them here but we've not seen any photos.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

Aargghh! Forgot to add: absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, of course.

London
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

The key to seahorses are their sea grass habitat. They certainly do exist in the Indian Ocean, but there is not a lot of sea grass in the Maldives. One place where I understand there is a good deal of sea grass is Shangri-La Villingili. I'm trying to get in touch with their dive centre to see if they have ever spotted any.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

I didn't know seahorses went snorkelling. How amazing!

Wid

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
23,073 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

I was in Sharm el Sheikh when the guide pointed one out only they are so small that I couldn't see it from the surface! No chance to dive down and have a look. But now I know there aren't any round the Maldives I won't bother with my contact lenses when I get there.

Start swotting up on pipe fish instead.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling for seahorses in the Maldives

Kanthony - we were in Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo 2 years ago and I saw loads of pipe fish in the shallows (less than 2 feet) inside the seawall, they were really hard to spot at first but once I knew what to look for they were all over the place - same head as a sea horse but long thin body and almost the same colour as the sand