We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying on a local island.

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Staying on a local island.

We are off tomorrow for 11 nights in the Maldives but won't be going anywhere near a resort. We are spending 3 nights in Male' (have spent time there before and like it) and 8 nights on a local island with friends. We have been to the island a few times before but have never stayed overnight. Even though it's too late to back out has anyone on here ever done something similar and were there any positives or negatives to watch out for? We fully intend to have a great time and as usual will take loads of photos and I will put some online when we get back.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying on a local island.

sounds really interesting Gengy , cant wait to hear from you when you get back.

Sg

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying on a local island.

well... just don't go looking for the all inc bar ... :D

seriously , Gengy .. great adventure ! if you don't want to go - just send me off with references and i'll report back :)

sounds great!

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying on a local island.

It's OK, I think we will manage. The whole thing is about 6 months in the planning. I have no problems with no A/I for that amount of time but will be making use of the drinks on the plane. Luckily we both love Maldivian food but my wife is a bit unsure about eating octopus which has already been promised to us.

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying on a local island.

grilled octopus - is really delicious.

have a great time

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying on a local island.

i am willing to suffer through the octopus (yummm) ! if you need a volunteer - i am standing by, ready to pack :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying on a local island.

Octopus or squid. I like them both in batter/garlic or grilled…………..my daughter use to absolutely love the onion rings. lol

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying on a local island.

The octopus will be done with chilli sauce, and we will most likely see the octopus meet his/her demise.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying on a local island.

Chilli sauce, yep lovely.

Oh well at least the octopus can met he's/her maker knowing it was for a good cause. ;-]

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying on a local island.

bloomin eck you have as many holidays as judith chalmers !!!!!

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying on a local island.

I don't get more holidays than most people but I work most bank/public holidays and we get them as annual leave. The only problem is being able to afford to go the Maldives as more and more resorts are charging more than we are prepared to pay. We have been to three different resorts and two of them are now much more than we could pay.