We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater Camera - Fogging Issue

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater Camera - Fogging Issue

Hi, I have an underwater camera housing which I used when in the Maldives 2 years ago which took some decent pics but it had a bad habit of misting/fogging up in the warm water after about 20 mins - I tried everything to prevent this, anti fog fluid, keeping the camera outdoors to keep it at ambient temp, tried the opposite in an airconned room so the moisture content of the air was less and I always had a little silca pouch in it, in fact managed to cram 2 in!!!

still to no avail - any tips or tricks from the photography experts out there!

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater Camera - Fogging Issue

I've had that problem but only after about an hour. It's a bit of a pain cos it does it when the camera gets hot....you can put mine in a "standby" mode but then there is a second or two for it to come to life again by which time the fish you wanted to photograph has legged it!

If you buy the little packs of silica (about an inch by half inch) then cram as many in as you can!!! I manage to get 4 in.

Make sure you keep the housing in the warm, dry air and not in the damp air-con air....don't open it in air-con either.

John

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater Camera - Fogging Issue

mine did the same last holiday - - I cleaned all the gel from around the oring, replaced it with new and only a little - think I was using too much and put in a new silica pouch seemed to do the trick..................

Newark
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater Camera - Fogging Issue

I have always set-up both my stills and video camera in the room with the air-con on - the air may be cold but it is dry. I always use the silica gel pouches and have only noticed a problem (as SJ says) when the stills camera gets hot, this doesn't occur with the video, I assume because the bigger housing dissipates the heat more efficiently. One thing I do do is to allow the camera to acclimatise before use, it is frequently set-up 90 mins before use on the dive boat; if snorkelling I try and hang/hold it in the water for 10 minutes before using. Hope this helps.

Dorset
Level Contributor
983 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater Camera - Fogging Issue

Agree with all the above - but also keep the housing outside your airconditioned room all the time and try and let the camera warm up before putting it in.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater Camera - Fogging Issue

how do you dry out your Silca packs once used - thought about on a light bulb but was worried about them catching fire !!!!!

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underwater Camera - Fogging Issue

As divernewark pointed out, aircon air is much drier than the humid 80% Maldivian air, sowould have thought it was better in the room, but tried both in and out and lasted about the same time!

7. Re: Underwater Camera - Fogging Issue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 20:19