We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

Just looked at invoice for Angaga for Easter week 2009 - £1050 each for a lovely detached villa with a sea view. Fihalhohi Easter 2010 was about £1300 each for a water bungalow, worth the price as they're really spacious and the reef is so close. Not going this year, trying Marsa Alam instead (half the price!) but booked for 2012 and paying £1800 each (Vilamendhoo, AI, beach villa). Noticed the ordinary Fiha rooms were £1376 for the same time. Always book with Thomson or First Choice to get the 10 hour flight as we can only ever go for a week due to the school holidays. Can't really imagine paying more than this and the other times of year aren't that much cheaper...what do others think? Will we still go? Hard to find an alternative. Already thinking how chilly the water's going to feel in Egypt (about 24C) compared to 30c in the Indian Ocean, although know from experience the snorkelling will be good and there will be lots of sun (and wind)!

staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
456 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

the short answer to you question is yes, some will be able to afford it, the prices you quote are less than some pay in airfair alone. if you fly buisness class from the uk then the airfair per person is just under 2K .

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

Xarla

The Maldives will always be affordable for someone but perhaps not the "run of the mill" tourist who has perhaps £3000 to spend. On our first to Biyadhoo about 4 years ago, taking into account the discount offered through my bank's travel service, I think we paid about £900 each for 2 weeks FB in the high season flying scheduled. The current price is approaching, if not exceeding £1500 per head.

But as we know from this forum there is always someone with money to burn who just wants the "best" and is prepared to pay for it.

OD

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

Frankly I can afford it but going elsewhere on principle as much as anything else. Also, if you are unable to dive even paradise becomes a wee bit jaded six years in a row!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

We used to like about four holidays a year, but if we book the Maldives can only afford one other (a week in Europe in August). I guess it's worth it, while it remains unspoilt. There are lots of other places much more expensive (Bora Bora)!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

Xarla

Very true. We are going to Sicily in Summer and The Grenadines in November. Maybe we will go back to the Maldives if we start missing it too much!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

"will anybody be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?" Probably not!

We don't have an unlimited budget for holidays - far from it. Can we afford to go to the Maldives? Probably - within reason...Do we want to pay anything between £1k to £2k more than 12 months ago for the same holiday (PLUS 3.5% G&S tax)? erm no.

Not until the withdrawal symptoms override my principles anyway :-)

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

Well as currently sitting at gatwick partly through a 21 hr delay- I would just like to get there in 2011

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

Ooh, poor you, sg2. Glad to see you are able to keep your sense of humour though.

Good luck and hope you are on your way soon - preferably this year and today if poss!

Wid

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

Depressing tolook at the price hikes , It will undoubtedly continue , and probably escalate, surely they would'nt keep opening more high end resorts if the returns did not make it profitable. Visitors from other countries can clearly take up the availability

I am so glad to have been to so many lovely Islands, but now it will be , at most, alternate years, and then only if a last minute deal appeals.

To me the uniqueness of a holiday somewhere like Fih a' or Biya' , sand , reef, and not a lot else will always be my take on the Maldives.

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Will anyone be able to afford the Maldives in 2013?!

As it's now twelve noon I hope you have taken off and are en route. Hopefully it's the Maldives you are off to so have a great holiday.

Green with envy.

Siobhan