We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical question from a woman!

Bristol
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Typical question from a woman!

Do UK 230 volt hair straighteners work in the Maldives? I seem to vaguely remember when I was at Iru Fushi a couple of years ago they would trip the electricity in the room - but can't quite remember.

Just thinking what to take when we go to Zitahli next month.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical question from a woman!

They worked at Kuramathi

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical question from a woman!

Cat

Most islands run on generators which put out 220v, so you should be OK. There is frequently a big debate on here about whether or not to take hair straighteners. The general concensus is that it is always so hot and humid that the moment you step out of your cool, air conditioned room into 30C and high humidity all your hard work will be undone in an instant.

OD

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical question from a woman!

they work fine .... and the results last about 0.347 seconds when you leave your airconditioned room . forget the obsession - bring hairclips , hairties, hairbands. ponytail it ... scrunch it up "wetlook" it !

the more natural , the better you will look with sunkissed skin , casual clothes and the expression of total relaxation on your face.

i never even bother with a hairdryer ..and yes, i am female and have below waistlong hair.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,248 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typical question from a woman!

Well OfficerD - when you mentioned you speedos (thread earlier this year) the vision it created didn't include you in need of hair straighteners!

Ladies don't forget a slightly darker lipstick than the one you use here, to go with your tan.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Typical question from a woman!

Quote: "Ladies don't forget a slightly darker lipstick than the one you use here, to go with your tan."

Less of the discrimination, please.....there may be a few males who will appreciate the tip. :)

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Typical question from a woman!

Spammie

0.347 seconds. That long?

Wid :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typical question from a woman!

... Another tip: certain mosquito spray (those with DEET) which contain warning about may cause damage to plastics etc will affect your nail varnish. So if you've been to the spa and got yourself a nice pedi etc with beautiful nail art (hey, you're on holiday, don't judge me!) you may find it's encrusted with sand because of the spray ... Just cover up nails when applying.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Typical question from a woman!

ddebil Are you taking your straightners then?

Does anyone know of a product that is good to use on hair in the humidity? Tried so many over the years.Redken UV rescue works well or a leave in condioner, just to comb through after snorkelling but in the eves my hair just goes fluffy! and I end up tying it up.

I agree with Spammie that straightners are a waste of time because apart from the 0.347 sec benefit. You have to stand straightning it in the 1st place for around 15min when I would rather be doing something else. I am looking for a low maintenance solution for long fine hair.

Regards T23

Manchester
Level Contributor
546 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typical question from a woman!

Try brazilian blow dry , quite expensive, but keeps hair straight for weeks, so Ive been told. Google it.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Typical question from a woman!

I don't use hiardrier nor straighteners there: waste of time, it is hot to do it, and I am not going to destroy my hair using that so that my hair looks well for those 0,347 sec...

Edited: 05 April 2011, 15:50