We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

We went to Mirihi in June 2010 - Loved, loved, loved it. The reef was amazing, chilled atmosphere, great food, fab spa and awesome dive centre - just the best place.

We're getting married early 2012 and wanted to have our honeymoon in June 2012 there - but just found out they're shut for re-furb May-Aug next year...which means:

Find somewhere else as good...or

Go in Sept - (but run risk it's not finished...I understand Maldives is pretty usual for over-runs) - plus it's an even longer wait for our honeymoon!

Is there anywhere that is comparable to Mirihi? I seem to remember mentions of a diving resort similar to Mirihi but can't remember it's name? Is it as good on the all rounded aspects?

Any advice would be greatfuly received - what would you do?

Many thanks G

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

i have not found anywhere just as good as mirihi, regardless of price . my second choice is athuruga .

sorry to say .. but having been to mirihi, you know just how special it is .. very hard to copy

if i was you, i'd either go on honeymoon closer to the wedding and before mirihi closes in may .... or i would wait until early 2013

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

The resort that I have heard compares to Mirihi in terms of reef is Kandholhu. It looks amazing, but I'm not sure if any uk operators deal with this resort?

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

Hi Georgina

Kandholhu is the best reef in the Maldives and a lovely if small island with excellent food see reviews . There are no UK agents I can tell you how to book if you want to know PM me

Regards

Doug

Edited: 18 April 2011, 11:39
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

Hi

Athuruga would definitely be worth a look as Spammie suggests.

Buliding works in the Maldives are notorious for over-running and I personally wouldn't rely on availability in September.

I don't know any UK tour operators that have Kandholu. Would be worth contacting one of the smaller independent operators - like Richard at PurelyMaldives or Jim at MaldivesDirect - to see if they have any contacts.

OD

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

That's terrible news ... terrible for your honeymoon but also for those (like us) who'd planned to watch Euro 2012 at Mirihi ... lovely big screen between palm trees, deckchairs in sand, popcorn supplied throughout the night ... sigh ... I am devastated!

Karla

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

kandholhu is a pretty good alternative like suggested . mirihi and kandholhu's reefs used to be considered the top 2 .. but recently, i would give the edge to mirihi .. and of course , mirihi has the wreck divesite (too deep for snorkelers)

i was not too impressed with the food on kandholhu, however .. nor with the privacy of the villas . other than that .., good choice !

mirihi is just the full package so its very hard to beat

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

Thanks for all the responses guys - it's pretty much what I feared! Will check out the 2 recommendations.

The aspect that worries me would be making comparisons back to Mirihi - not something you really want to do on your honeymoon/holiday of a lifetime!

So 'tragically' we may have to look to have our honeymoon elsewhere (though obviously a great excuse to see a new part of the world and new diving spots). I've heard of a 'mirihi' like place near Bali...shall now add that to the list as well!

It's definitely a shame, but nice to think we'll get to see somewhere new as well! And as you say Spammie...maybe a trip to Mirihi in 2013!

Georgie xx

sussex. uk
Level Contributor
308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

If you're looking elsewhere to preserve the Mirihi magic, I'd suggest Misool Eco Resort in Indonesia. Stunningly beautiful waters and marine life to match that of Mirihi; the chill factor is equally as good.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

Hello Georgina and OD

We have made repeated attempts to contract with Kandholhu but their contracts are handled by a third party Maldivian company who continually fail to respond.

I do however agree that K would be a good temporary stopgap for the refurbishing Mirihi - but you may need to deal direct or via an Italian tour operator.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Skipton, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mirihi Trouble...Advice Please!

I dont know if you have sorted now, but Mirihi are not refurbing until 2013 apparently,