We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hudhuranfushi or Dhonveli for honeymoon

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hudhuranfushi or Dhonveli for honeymoon

We are getting both Adaaran Hudhuranfushi and Chaaya Dhonveli within our budget for our Nob 2011 honeymoon. We will be booking 2 nights in a beach villa/bungalow and 3 nights in a water/ocean villa.

Which island/resort is better for a honeymoon?

We both are not very strong swimmers, so wont do any surfing. We'd like to try snorkelling, other water sports and maybe scuba diving.

Please suggest. Thanks!

Manchester
Level Contributor
550 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hudhuranfushi or Dhonveli for honeymoon

Wouldnt say Dhonveli is really romantic/special enough for a honeymoon.

The water and over water villas could do with a refurb, you have to take advice from the dive people as snorkling from the water villas can be dangerous because of the currents. From the lagoon quite safe.

Cant comment on Hud, but sure someone on here can help you.

Perhaps keep looking.

We are going to try Vilamendhoo as this seems quite popular, dont know if its in your budget.

Good luck, and anywhere the first time in the Maldives will be wonderful.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hudhuranfushi or Dhonveli for honeymoon

I have stayed at Hudhuranfushi and the water villas are superb (best accomodation I have stayed in so far). There is a massive difference in quality between the water villas and beach villas at this resort, so if you can afford it I would book 5 nights in the water villas. That said I would still return in a beach villa (they are clean and simple, but a bit tired), but if you want extra special for a Honeymoon it is well worth the extra for a water villa.

The snorkelling we found good at Hudhuranfushi. There isn't a big house reef as such and you have to go on the actual reef at certain times of the day because of the tides. However, there are coral patches in the large lagoon, which have plenty to see (saw trigger fish, eels, puffers, parrots, pipe fish, rays, giant clams, etc) and are perfect for anyone who is not confident a swimmer (no currents at all). We did snorkel on the reef once, but spend the rest of the holiday content in the lagoon.

Didn't try the diving so can't comment, but I know that they were taking beginners onto the reef straight from the jetty.

If you can't afford the water villa for the whole stay, make sure you are in a beach villa first, as it would feel like a massive come down if you switch to one after being in a water villa here!

Edited: 14 September 2011, 17:48
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hudhuranfushi or Dhonveli for honeymoon

have only been to Hudhuran ( old Lohi') small area of reef drop off at end of jetty but lots of interesting rocky outcrops in shallow lagoon areas,

it was a pretty Island internally. banana orchards and a friendly gardener.

I have best memories of this Island , sitting at the surf bar . Probably would'nt recognise it now it has been made over, but I am sure you would enjoy it.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hudhuranfushi or Dhonveli for honeymoon

Thanks sxi1, missmaldives and buckle-bugs! We've finally booked Hudhranfushi Ocean Villas for all 5 nights. Can't wait to go!

5. Re: Hudhuranfushi or Dhonveli for honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 03:16