We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a holiday book?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend a holiday book?

So have you read a really good book recently? What would you recommend? Personally I like crime thrillers,,,,but am bit of a butterfly with literature and dip into everything,,,,,other than sci- fi! Reading on the plane or in the late afternoon is a must!

So the question is what books should we be taking on our dessert island trip?

Thanks!

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

Lol Froggy

how about a cook book for your dessert island :o)

sorry can't help with books as I can never find time to read on holiday .

Andy

staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
456 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

last trip I took three of the Sharpe novels and the two latest Jeffrey Deaver plus another thriller I cant remember oh and a Val Mcdermid but i normally manage one a day.

as for a recomendation anything by James Ellroy very noir

horsham
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

The Room!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely gripping!

Water for Elephants. Excellent

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

I would recommend either "Sister" or "Afterwards" by Rosamund Lupton - psychological thrillers. Both very gripping.

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

Froggy - I was going to ask the same !!-

read 7 books last week of august in greece -(still found time for sightseeing and the likes) and am worried that I will have nothing for maldives !

have already read all connelly and childs (preordered the new ones coming out next month),

3 gordon ferris - all very good,

the help - lovely.

all stephen leather (weird) but okay to help with frying in the sun!

and many many others

have the larsons but finding it difficult to get started on those!

So please keep suggestions coming for best island reading or I may have to educate myself and read all the classics and that seems like hard work!!

rob and espritguy thanks for those suggestionsI will have a look at those.

(ps use my kindle)

Edited: 24 September 2011, 16:27
Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

second cakestin's suggestions - particularly'Afterwards'- could not put it down, also partial to Val McDermid books.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

Harlan Coben books are pretty good - Tell No-one, Gone for Good and No Second Chance are good stand-alone thrillers, but I also got addicted to the Myron Bolitar series as well for thrillers with a bit of a comedy element in them. I've read all of his, and I'm currently working my way through the entire Alex Cross series by James Patterson. Not bad for someone who only usually reads on holiday :-)

Ian

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

crime thriller...... my fave...... obv James Patterson Alex cross books (i dont like his others - has to be Alex Cross) but try books written by a British author - Jim Kelly - very good all based on crime in rural Norfolk . i have read them all and totally un put down able. Some are based on a police officer and the best ones are about an unorthodox journalist (I cant remember his name but he has a tame taxi driver called Humph).

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

Thanks for all the suggestions....am going to look at all the authors, so keep the suggestions coming! What I did not reveal is actually I read at night, if at home, oh watches sport and I read:)) v sad I know:)) (and I dip in here)

Have read all Lee Childs also Cassie, have just stopped short of pre ordering the affair...and have read Room, excellent book and had me hooked,,,,very well written,,,Also love james Patterson and Alex cross,,,starting to wonder if there is direct correlation in book choices and travel destinations! Water for elephants I saw in iTunes and thought about it, but was unsure, so will do it now,,,,plus some new authors to try, thanks Ian, cakes tin and esprit guy,...

Andy,,,,you had me worried, thought crikey, another contentious subject, to

read or not to read in the Maldives - only kidding:))

Edited: 24 September 2011, 18:37
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommend a holiday book?

How could I forget the Lee Child books?!? Jack Reacher is my alter ego - lol!