We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

Having had an amazing quote from H&J online for 11 nights B&B at Reethi for the end of June I excitedly called my bosses wife who works for First Choice as she can price match and I cannot believe what I have been told. I should add that I have also viewed this holiday at this price for well over 2 weeks so it is not a glitch.

The flights shown on my quote are special price flights that are apparently only available when booking certain hotels, apparently Reethi isn't one of them despite them showing on the website and being able to book them for Reethi.

I can apparently go ahead and book the holiday online (the agent has been told she cannot do this) but can expect a phonecall in a few weeks asking me to pay an extra circa £500 for a flight that leaves approx 10 minutes earlier.

So basically, the online price is completely false...those flights are not bookable for Reethi and I now have no holiday again.

So upset.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

hmmmm.......back to Marks maybe mate........poor show.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

Oh, that's not good, false advertising...Must be something that can be done,,,

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

Agreed Hex, I've never booked with the TUI group before and after this I don't think I ever will be!

Froggy, my agent said the same thing and the lady at H&J basically said...read the T&C's...we can do whatever we want, if it constitutes a major change then you have the option to cancel!

What a crock of s***

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

Jody

Similar happened to us when we booked the Atoll Explorer through Kuoni. I actually thought the price was pretty low and it was only after hubby phoned (against my advice and after we got our confirmation through the post) to try and change cabins they spotted the error.

They did not honour the price quoted and just pointed to their small print saying they could cancel our holiday, "we can do whatever we want,"

They were still quoting the wrong rates up to ten days later!

They are all as bad as each other!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

It's horrid Turquoise isn't it?

We have spent the last two weeks umming and arring about whether it was the right island, whether we should commit and comfortably afford it and after all that, it turns out we can't book anyway!!

Argh.....

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

Jody the other problem is Tui now have the monopoly as H & J, Thomsons, Tui and Soverign all under the same umbrella so we have little choice.

I have sometimes booked independantly but often for us Brits can work out more expensive. What about Marks travel or Purely? have you tried to get a quote through them? I have only ever contacted Mark's Travel but people on here recommend both.

I can recommend Reethi Beach. I hope you get sorted.

T23

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

Thank you

We booked Vilamendhoo through Marks this year and were really pleased with them so I might try them again.

I have been on the phone to H&J for about 20 minutes and their best price for the same dates is £230 dearer than the web price. I also found a great price elsewhere but we would have to pay upfront, my bonus is due in just over 7 weeks so I might try and hang on and see if the price remains the same as that means direct flights!

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

That's really horrible. I've always thought it's amazing what travel companies can get away with. You should be able to expect the same service as when purchasing any product but they can do what they like without any penalty to them.

In the past we had Thomas Cook ring up and say our flights were now changed and we owed an additional five hundred to go with Emirates instead or cancel our holiday to Makunudu. So we had to pay up.

We have had Airtours ring up two weeks before departure to say that Vakarufalhi was overbooked and they had changed us to Meeru. They wouldn't offer any other island so I cancelled and rebooked with Cosmos to go to Royal Island.

Last December on one of the occasions that Gatwick closed due to snow Thompson cancelled our Maldives holiday (the only long haul they cancelled that day) and actually the airport was open the next day which was our departure date so they need not have cancelled at all.

It cost us hundreds more to go to Bandos in early January instead. Actually while on the phone to rebook it the web fare that we could see went up by more than one hundred because we were on hold so long!!!

We go the huge sum of fifty pounds compensation from them.

Good luck with your holiday, hope you get the island you want at a good price.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

i am surprised that in such a "protective" country as england, there are no consumer protection laws in place that prohibit the classic "bait and switch" scenario used here.

in the US, they would be taken to court by each and every one of their customers they are trying to cheat and be made to adhere to the contract that THEY proposed - plus pay fines and damages, court and lawyer fees.

offering a product that you never intend to sell in the first place is illegal in the states, no matter what their fineprint says - disclaimers cannot overrule the law.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 14:29
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gutted & Disgusted with Hayes & Jarvis

remind me again... why do people use travel agents ?

seriously ... it takes 5 minutes on the phone to book a resort - including pleasant chitchat - and another 3mins online to book a flight - done!.

nobody will be able to switch reservations .. you can cancel without losing a dime until days before (i have had to do that once) .. you are not likely to be overbooked .. you are not under contract to some middleman and forced to take substitutions from THEIR brochure and very importantly .. if something is not right at the resort, you can fix it directly with management , instead of dealing with some uninterested agent back in england (with different timezones) or some "local rep" who would much prefer to get along with the resort long term than with a guest who leaves soon, never to be seen again.

it may cost a little less .. but there are too many negative issues involved with booking through a middleman that i haven't done it for years and likely will never do it again, if i can help it.