We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15832438

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

good find denebebbo,

lets hope it is not a ripple effect and that other tour operators are not suffering to the same extent - Hard to imagine that the other operators are not also suffering from what thomas cook are finding.

something to keep an eye on -

Direct bookings with resorts and buying own flights might end up the way we have to go for more peace of mind ??

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

DeneBebbo

We flew with them to Greece this summer and it was like flying with Butlins!

They had things like meal deals, scratch cards, charity collections and sold trashy magazines. The 'Riot Act' was read out as soon as we boarded the aircraft. Children's screaming only intermittently interrupted by more special offers over the tannoy system.

We were given vouchers for free headsets but there wasn't any entertainment (not broken, just non existent) it was a joke! All that was missing on the flight was a Karaoke machine and staff in velour tracksuits. Luckily they don't fly to the Maldives although you can book through them. The above experience put us off for life.

T23

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

Cassie .... The link posted by Dene states if you have booked a package hol you are protected but if you have booked flights you are not and need to take out alternative insurance .......

....AG

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

yeah , I understood that active girl, ;-)

(first time I have ever done a funny face must be getting with it!!)

I did not mean buying just flights with thomas cook as you wouldn't be protected !!- but buying direct with the scheduled airlines, on the whole scheme of things I was wondering if it is time to start organising all ourselves??

thanks

cassie

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

Hi Turquoise, that sounds like Benidorm in the sky! Nothing wrong with charity collections, but things like scratch cards and trashy mags (I presume this means the celeb gossip mags?) on a flight are naff.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

That's a worry over Thomas cook. They are one of the big guys, so I am guessing there is a lot of people worried out there right now, even knowing they are protected. Its concerning if europes second biggest travel agent goes bust.

Edited: 22 November 2011, 20:37
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

Their share price dropped 75% yesterday after they announced they were going to the banks for more money.

I certainly wouldn't book with them now.

OD

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

surely now something like this is common knowledge, especially in the currect dire financial situation, no-one in their right mind will book with them,

How can they survive then, or get taken over?? We have always avoided flying with them as I was told their seats/pitch were one of the smallest, not sure if that is true.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

T23...lol

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Think twice about booking with Thomas Cook

I'm not sure it would put me off booking a holiday with them - there might be some deals to be had.....

You're money's protected by atol, and if you pay by credit card you can go after them if all else fails. So apart from maybe losing the holiday you booked, your money's safe. I might pay them a visit in the new year (if they're still here!!)

Ian