We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

Manchester
Level Contributor
546 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

It appeares that while waiting for the seaplane you are asked to sign an indemnity form, does anyone know if this makes your own insurance cover void.

A couple who left a review refused to sign it and were not allowed on any trips, or use of the spa.

Anyone else been faced with this at Vilamendhoo.

May give my own insurance a ring, but need to know more as to what is on the form so I can tell them.

Thanks

Anne

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

Hi Anne

My first reaction is not printable on a forum! Have to say that I have never come across this on any of the islands we have ever been to. I think it is appalling. I can't imagine it's been in place very long or surely others would have reported back about it. If it were me I'd be onto the island to find out what it's all about and also to my own insurance company. Might also look to change islands if that's their attitude!

SL

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

I'd also be interested to find out as we are due to travel in May. We do want to do trips, use the spa etc so we would probably sign it but would like a bit more information as to what it actually means!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

This form has been given to guests since the CCR take over as far as I am aware, it was definitely something given to us when we checked in. I have read of others who refused to sign it and were not allowed to participate in various activities.

My take on it is this;

This form will not indemnify the island if an injury is as a direct result of negligence on their part. The island has a duty of care to it's visitors and regardless of whether you sign a form or not, if they fail in that duty of care then they are accountable.

The actual indemnity should be against you suing the island if you sustain an injury through your own doing or during an incident that cannot be controlled by the Island, eg you get bitten by a shark on a snorkeling trip or break an arm playing football.

This should have no actual effect on your travel insurance as you are insured for taking part in all activities as listed on your policy, you signing that form has absolutely no effect on you being covered, it's a legal issue, not an insurance one. Should any injury occur during your holiday then you are still entitled to the full benefits as per your insurance.

Jody

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

On arrival at Male, we were taken to the "special" CCR lounge (where the staff "prefer" you don't leave) and then have this indemnity form shoved at us which clearly states should not be signed under duress. So we didn't sign it, only to be told we would have to.

Upon arrival at the island the form was presented to us again and we were asked for our signature....we declined only to be told that if we signed up for any trips, you were effectively signing the form as the same disclaimer is on the bottom of the trip list.

The last thing you want to be subjected to after that long flight is something that immediately stresses you out.

On reflection, I should have got a copy to check out back here.....anyone going soon that could post the text on here?

John

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

There are other resorts in the CCR group - Meeru, Veligandhu, Gasfinolu. Does anyone know if those islands ask for an indemnity form to be signed?

OD

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

Hi OD, Meeru asked us to sign one last June ....

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

Kuredu and Komandoo also.

John

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

we've not been to Veli since 2005, or Komandoo since 2008, but didn't sign an indemnity form at either. It's possible they've changed ownership since.....

Ian

9. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 December 2011, 19:00
10. Re: Vilamendhoo Indemnity form???.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 December 2011, 19:01