We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilamendhoo warning.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Vilamendhoo warning.

Some regular visitors on here will be aware of the problem of overbooking at Vilamendhoo and other CCR resorts.

Usually it is only once the booking has been made that folk will look at the Vila website and check out the forum. But they really should be doing this BEFORE booking.

There is a DELIBERATE policy in place by the top people in CCR to overbook the island resulting, usually in a downgraded room for your first night or two leading to massive disappointment to people that have saved hard to be able to afford a holiday in the Maldives and many of those are honeymooners.

I am incensed by this as they keep saying it's just a temporary hiccup....it isn't.

Before you book Vilamendhoo, check out the forum....go to www.vilamendhooisland.com click on the forum icon, go to "general questions" and look for the thread "Is overbooking a real issue".

The problem does appear to affect mainly the JBV rooms but also check out my comments about being upgraded!

John

Mentioned in this post
Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Vilamendhoo Island...
3,679 Reviews
Vilamendhoo
Guernsey
Level Contributor
165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

This is so true. We were there at the same time as you John and we had fliers through our BV desperate for people to move to Komandoo with an upgrade to a JBV there. Apparently the JBV at Vila had same offer but with upgrade to JWV! Why were Vila were DESPERATE to get people off ... overbooking!

If we had been there for the required dates we would have jumped at this as my parents, who we were away with, had been to Komandoo and loved it but this is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. We all know how much research goes in to booking a holiday in the Maldives to ensure the island you book meets all your criteria and to expect people to move to an island they know nothing about is appalling! Komandoo and Vila could not be more different on all aspects.

To have people pay the £0000's they pay to get to Vila and then downgrade the room is equally bad.

It would put me off booking Vila again but if it's not sorted soon we may find lots of offers at Vila as people start to avoid it for this very reason!

Mentioned in this post
Komandoo Maldives Island Resort
Komandoo Maldives Island...
2,197 Reviews
Komandoo
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

Thats really bad. Overselling lower rooms and upgrading is one thing,,,overselling the higher grade rooms and downgrading is very poor practice indeed.,,,,Or shunting you off the island. Not a good policy really:((

cumbria
Level Contributor
392 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

We went in April this year and they had overbooked then also.

We were staying in a beach villa and a leaflet appeared on our table for a two day and a one day cruise (On Meeru's boat that they had borrowed).

We jumped at the chance as we had been to Vila twice before so thought we had nothing to lose.

We returned to another beach villa following the one night two day cruise (Which was great).

We then had a leaflet to go to Rangali? for four days but this overlapped our flight home so couldn't do it but did say if there was anything else we would give it a try just for fun.

In the end they caught up with us in the bar and asked if we would move to a water villa for the final few days as they needed the beach villas so we did that instead.

We did enjoy it but we had been twice before so it was a bit of fun for us to try a different room.

However, I do not agree with what they are doing at all as people spend a lot of time and money picking the island and the rooms for their special holiday and this just does not seem to matter at all. I'm afraid that this is more than just a temporary thing. I was under the impression they were going to try to get their own cruise boat to cover the overbooking however, I may have misunderstood :~))))))

Like John says, check out the forum before you book.

Mentioned in this post
Rangali Island
Rangali Island
Southern Ari Atoll
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

When we went to Meeru, another CCR island, a few years ago there was rampant overbooking. Luckily we weren't affected, possibly because I had emailed them 2 weeks previously to request a room and made specific mention of the overbooking situation.

OD

Mentioned in this post
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
6,658 Reviews
Meerufenfushi
sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

I am watching with baited breath as we return in Feb and are a group of 6 including dive packages, so it will be interesting to see if they try to split the group or offer to move us all elsewhere and what they do about prepaid diving costs.

Sg

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

It's Meeru all over again. But then they're owned by the same group, so only to be expected I suppose. Is it still as bad on Meeru? They used the same type of offers there as well -2/3 day trips on a boat were the most obvious. You'd think they would have learnt by now, but maybe there are sufficient visitors who don't mind having their holiday disrupted. Personally, I can do without moving room or island once I'm on holiday.

SL

Mentioned in this post
6,658 Reviews
Meerufenfushi
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

When we were there they'd over booked and were offering Ranveli transfers. They were so full that we wasn't able to upgrade from our Garden Room.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

Sounds like I was lucky in July .. got the JBV in the area I asked for with no problems at all

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

John.

It was or is an issue on its sister island Meeru. It is a standard practice that I believe is wrong. However my only comment from reading many reviews is the following.

No one is ever made to change islands. The upgraded islands have included Mirihi.

Many people can experience a large upgrade after the initial down grade.

Many people are upgraded in both room type and food plan. I.e. Half/full board to AI.

Many people have been positive about the experience and replied it made their holiday including the voluntary cruise.

Mentioned in this post
6,658 Reviews
Meerufenfushi
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
1,052 Reviews
Mirihi
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vilamendhoo warning.

Noticed that Sarah was upgraded from a JBV to a JWV for the whole two weeks. It does read John that Vila is less generous than Meeru for some reason.

Mentioned in this post
6,658 Reviews
Meerufenfushi