We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when is a review "too honest"?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
when is a review "too honest"?

.... or too opinionated ? we all know that reviews are subjective .. but am i the only one who is more than a little uncomfortable with part of the following review

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298324-d105…

yes, i am talking about the paragraph starting with "the last issue..."

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

I think it would have been sufficient to say that there was a large Asian presence.....most of us know the finer details.

John

Edited: 17 December 2011, 16:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

Well the choice of vocabulary is not what I would use and certainly isn't politically correct - I'm suprised it passed the censors. It doesn't really make me feel 'uncomfortable' as such, but does highlight the intolerances (and prejudices) of the author. I've long learnt that not everyone views the world, or has the same values, as I do But other than those couple of sentences I think its pretty informative.

SL

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

SL.. i agree that its an informative report .. except for the author's xenophobia expressed in verbage that doesn't sit well with me... but perhaps i am hyper sensitive. it also gets my hackles up when the word "asian" is used to complain about one single nationality/culture. again ... maybe its just me ... thats what i was wondering, really .

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

If the reviewer really wanted to report those details there are certainly more delicate ways of doing so. I agree that it is strange that TA did not censure that particular section.

The anser to your original question, spammie is probably 'never' but this is not about honesty. It's a simple matter of writing a review that maintains some basic level of decency and tact - not so much a matter of what you say, but more how you say it.

Edited: 17 December 2011, 16:39
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

when you see some of the things that get the chop in these forums, I'm amazed that got through to be honest.....

a bit uncalled for IMO, and spoiled an otherwise good review.

Ian

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

a bit too racist for my taste, have reported as offensive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

ThatS a bit much, and yes it's offensive.

However it never ceases to amaze me how many people go on holiday and seem to spend their time watching the other guests and what they do. How does the reviewer know the individual was sick becUse they ate too much, and not because they were ill. Because they were watching instead of engaging with their dinner companions and minding their own busines, Very sad that people like this exist.

I also don't know how people go on vacation and then complain about the price of the food and drink. Ever heard of research? How can you go and have no clue?

Overall it reflects badly on the reviewer and no one else.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

I think like most people the last paragraph does tend to discredit the whole review because it is in such "emotive" language. i must admit I am suprised it got through the TA censor.

I Travelled in china and actually didnt see any of this behaviour so i suppose its a bit like "brits aboard" in certain european resorts a minority rather than majority. Also dress code should be down to the hotel to enforce but then i am not one for dress codes .

To me a review should cover the resort, hotel and staff not the other holiday makers behaviour or ethic origines.

Sg

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

Reading many reviews when I research a new destination,. its easy to ignore those that have had a naff flight experience/noisy neighbour etc... as being unrepresentative of the resort.

This guy has simply written his experience in his own emotional vocabulary.

Almost says more about him than the negatives of his trip. Never known any maldivian island that took an hours walk, even top to bottom of Kuramathi or Kuredu!

I think if we experienced someone actually eating and vomiting at the table, it would certainly prove a talking point. He fails to mention if the restaurant manager stepped in and offered the vomiting guest any assistance , or help to leave the restaurant!. Knowing how non-confrontational they are expected to be , they may well not have done so , and that would be the fault of the resort.

Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: when is a review "too honest"?

I can't fine the review being mentioned... Perhaps it's been removed?