We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

We've booked 2 weeks AI going 31st January to olhuveli beach and spa for our honeymoon. Due to my awful shift patterns and rota (someone has to do it) we couldn't book until a few weeks ago. Our budget was quite low compared to most of you on this forum by the looks of it (5300), and I didn't come on here before booking, given working 80hr weeks, moving house, moving job, getting married, etc! So now I have read on here it seems many aren't fans of olhuveli, but the reviews seem good, which I did look at before. So basically have I made a big mistake?! We're not avid snorkellers (but will take them with us for a few afternoon swims!) and was hoping to spend time relaxing on soft sandy beaches (which apparently olhuveli doesn't have according to here), do the occasional excursion, and eat! Vilamendhoo was out of the question given my parents are on the same flights as us and are going there! We also looked at meed, but the customer ratings in Thomson brochure weren't great and didn't want to get stuck behind the seawall! Is there anywhere else I should be considering, given we may be able to change to another Thomson based property for a small fee, or am I worrying about nothing?! Sorry for the ramble, it's just being stuck in bed with flu has given me time to look at this forum and has got me worried!

Hope you all have a lovely

Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

Supposed to say hope you all have a lovely Christmas!

London, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

Don't worry, you will have an amazing time.

We got back from Olhuveli on Monday and had a lovely time.

There is a house reef so you can do snorkelling as and when you please, without having to book an excursion. You can also just walk into the sea and watch the fish, with or without snorkel gear.

The food in the main dining room is excellent and the staff are very obliging.

The beeches on both sides are beautiful to look at, the sand may not be the softest, but it is soft enough to walk on.

Look forward to your holiday, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

What room type have you booked.

lancashire
Level Contributor
64 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

Hi Louise,

I know it seems like I am one of only a few fans of Olhuveli but honestly it is beautiful. The sand is powder soft, you don't need beach shoes at all and the Island is well established with lovely gardens etc. I too have read on here that the sand is course and grey but this is not the case, or at least it wasn't when I was there in March 2010. It is by far the best sand I've seen of the 3 islands I have been to. I can't stress enough how soft it is.

When our friends arrived at Male in March this year on our way to meet us at Vila, the thomsons rep asked if they had been to the Maldives before and they said yes, Olhuveli to which she replied, ' oh, I hope you're not dissapointed with Vilamendhoo then' . Which they weren't of course but in all of our opinions it was by no way 'better'.

Of course the snorkling diving etc is far, far better because of the reef, but for me, the only other thing which was better was the view from the room.

Olhuveli cost us more than Vilamendhoo and I believe it was apparent when there. I think as a honeymoon destination, its perfect, it feels luxurious, romantic and secluded.

We are off to Meed in Feb and like you (and Toon ) have been reading the forum and have had mad panics that we've chosen the wrong Island. If I could swap to go back to Olhuveli for the same price I would but it would cost another £1500 and there are hundreds of great reviews on Meed so we're staying put. I do hope you do too, I believe you will love Olhuveli.

Why don't you email the Island and ask about excursions etc, they might help to put your mind at rest.

Merry Christmas

Sandra

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

As the others have said, i wouldn't worry about it. Some resorts aren't as popular with those who have been to many different islands and so they have more to compare against. Plus some prefer fabulous snorkelling/house reefs etc.

If you are only a casual snorkeller, and this is your 1st island, it's pretty much guaranteed you'll be blown away by the place.

Have a great time!

Ian

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

Sandra - don't worry about Meed we got back on Tuesday second time to the Maldives and I was worried after coming on here. We had the best holiday!!

I think trip advisor can be its own worst enemy sometimes and panics people about their trips.

xx

Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

Thanks everyone, feel a bit better! My hubby has told be to stop worrying so I will!

I'm sure meed will be absolutely stunning too, I think if it wasn't for the fact we were going for our belated honeymoon, we'd have saved the 1500 and gone for meed!

We've ordered just a normal deluxe room as nothing else was left. We will try and upgrade once there but not holding our breath given it's peak season, but would love a few nights in the honeymoon suite :-) we are just both looking forward to a break.. Hubby will have just finished his masters, I've been working every hour possible I think, wedding and house move.... Yes we most definitely deserve it!

Thanks to everyone for their help and happy Christmas to everyone on the forum xx

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

i am the first to admit that i am no fan of olhuveli - but i am an old cynic and a lot of my "island rating" goes to good snorkeling and diving. i still prefer olhuveli to meedhupparu. everyone has different preferences and expectations.

like Ian summed it up very well - for your first visit, you quite literally cannot go wrong! you are going to love it .. your first island is always magical.

London, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

You will be fine in an ordinary room, but if you do want to try for an upgrade, there are only 5 honeymoon villas but 34 jacuzzi water villas, so you may be better trying for one of those (and they are cheaper).

We had on of the jacuzzi water villas that had a view of the sunset and it was amazing, some of the JWV and all the HVs see the sunrise rather than sunset.

england
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

The resort that you go to first is the one that wakens you to the Maldives. You will always remember it and I am sure that you will have a fabulous time. In fact you might enjoy it so much that you want to go back there. Believe me it happens like that more often than you can imagine. Three people on here have given the resort you have chosen good reports so I expect you will be fine sticking with your original choice. Have a fantastic holiday and come back and report how you got on or if you have other questions, then ask away and loads of people will assist you.

Manchester
Level Contributor
546 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have I made a mistake? Olhuveli

We loved our first island we ever went to, went back 3 times before the wow wore off.

You will love it, start saving for your next trip because there will be one.