We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go?

Hi forum, I am planning a trip next year to the wonderful Maldives. I last went in 2004 and stopped at veligandu in a water villa before the refurb. I loved this island, the food, rooms, atmosphere. I can't go diving as I have poorly ears but do love nice soft sandy beach on a pretty island. I would love to stop somewhere that is just as pretty as veli, but not has expensive, not to fussed on the reef, but food must be half decent. I am looking at going in may 2013, 10-14 days and will have £3000-£4000 ish as a budget for two including flights. Would rather ai, however good full or half board options would be considered. Not to fussed on the size of the island. Hope you can help.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

If not fussed on a reef....Reethi Beach.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

agree with Jody. Have been to Veligandu (pre refurb), and think you would be pleasantly surprised by Reethi, given it's about half the cost of Veli these days!

Good dining options. Although you only have access to the buffet on AI, you get 15% off the bill for the other restaurants.

There are price lists on Reethi Beach website, so you would be able to work out whether AI is worth it, or if its worth selecting a different board basis....

Ian

ps the reef at Reethi while not brilliant for coral, has excellent fish life, and is much better than Veligandu reef IMO).

Edited: 10 January 2012, 17:51
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

Great thanks guys, is it just this one which stands out or another one which you think fits the bill?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

You could look at Meeru but it is a bigger island with a number of rooms and room types, it is owned by the same company as Veligandu.

Canterbury
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

We started our Maldives obsession at Veli just after the upgrade but before the upgrade in prices (very very lucky!) and have since been to Kuredu and Meeru (just back three days from there and already miserable!). While Veli is the smallest, we have stayed in water villas at all three islands. We haven't been dissapointed once. In fact the sealife at both Kuredu and Meeru far outstripped Veli. Yes, you lose the tiny 'could get blown away' feel of Veli, and both bigger islands have a road down the middle that is used by island vehicles, but in a water villa with your own deck you could have been at either. We loved Kuredu for its house reef, the fabulous dive school, and the sand spit. Meeru we loved for the snorkelling, the best sunsets out of all of them, and the best food of all three (but not by much). Meeru was friendliest, but a little busier than Kuredu. Kuredu had the bonus of a teahouse on the pier, Meeru had amazing AI that included afternoon te and seriously awesome ice-coffees. True, we would go back to Veli if the prices were lower, but there is no way we would spend their current asking prices for a WV, expecially when the trips we've had since are amazing. Kuredu is still a seaplane transfer, Meeru a speedboat. If we're honest although we loved the views from the seaplane, the boat was less faff and not as stuffy. We never thought anything would compare to our first trip to the Maldives but we are pleasantly surprised every time we go. If you do consider any of the others I've mentioned feel free to ask more questions!

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go?

Oh decisions ha ha, thanks everyone will have a good read of all the reviews. One last question is it no shoes on all of these?

manchester
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go?

great post. I'm in the same predicament except planning on going in April or May this year.

Can't decide on where but some of the above have been mentioned quite a few times like Meeru/Kuredu and they both have good options. I have looked at Veli but the prices they are asking was way to high.

I did have a look at Hays & Jarvis, and they had amazing discounts on Vivanta by Taj, around £2500 off the final thus bringing it right down.

let me know where you decide

8. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 10:21