We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lizards in Beach villa

Riffa, Bahrain
Level Contributor
24 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Lizards in Beach villa

Are all beach villas in Maldives got lizards?

In my recent visit to Hilton Iru fushi, there were lizards with chuck chuck sound in our Beach villa , the sound was too loud that woke us up many times during our sleep, Is this the case with most Beach villas any where in Maldives ?

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

Certainly is.....geckos are part of Maldivian life.

They eat mosquitos....I know which ones I'd prefer.

John

Riffa, Bahrain
Level Contributor
24 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

Thanks for the reply Suffolk-john

I did not feel the geckos in Water Villas in other resorts though

Their sound was really loud

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

Yes we've always had geckos but never heard any noise, I wonder whether it was the gecko's you heard?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

Geckos do chirp, we never heard any noise from them at Vilamendhoo but a neighbour acidentally shut one in their Villa and that one did chirp quite loudly!!

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

Hi

I would say almost certainly not geckos which I've never heard and I think would be more likely to produce a small hiss. Sound more like some form of grasshopper or perhaps the plumbing

Regards

Doug

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

Doug,

geckos chirp and click it is a lovely little noise.. you need to listen !!!

;-0

Riffa, Bahrain
Level Contributor
24 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

I called pest control three times , they confirmed that the sound is the Geckos sound, they also said that they are harmeless.

The Aryvedic doctor there also mentioned that the Geckos of maldives are louder that those of India where he comes from.

nottingham
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

On our first visit to the Maldives some years ago we kept looking for the bird that was chirping so loudly - took us sometime to discover it was the geckos. They sound like a blackbird chirping and if you get one inside the room it can be really loud even though you often can't see it.

Riffa, Bahrain
Level Contributor
24 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

By the way the pest control killed a couple of them once on the ceiling , they were so clearly there, they were Lizards for sure.

On another apperence, one was right on the bed, again pest control killed it.

in the recent copy of the magazine in maldives airport they mentioned that the common house Gecko does the sound of chuck chuck chuck , so i borrowed their expression which was the exact sound that i heard.

My point is that they were Geckos.

But the main Q is : Is this the case in all Beach villas or only in Iru fushi because of the huge thatched ceiling ?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lizards in Beach villa

"pest control killed it"

good grief, killing a harmless creature that has more right to be there than we do....

I despair sometimes, I really do...

My advice to anyone who either can't stand either the sound, or the fact that something like a gekko or any other native creature may inhabit their room, is go somewhere else.

Ian

Edited: 08 February 2012, 10:03