We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives or Herne Bay?

South Wales
Level Contributor
928 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives or Herne Bay?

Following on from the ' Which top end island ' question, it occurs to me that, a large group of travellers to the Maldives are first timers ( honeymooners ) and become addicted. Given that, certainly the first time you push the boat out expense wise, which island would members go to on a very fixed budget ie: as little as possible in order to return.

There must be some little gems that are affordable and forum members know where they are better than anyone.

My first honeymoon was indeed in Herne Bay....lovely but not the indian ocean!

Debs

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

Fihalhohi for me. Would return without hesitation and if Eriyadu doesn't work out when we can eventually get a quote for next year, Fiha is where we will go instead.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

Wot no Hilbre Island Wid??

:-)

St Neots, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

I agree Wid Fiha has been one of the best for value, beautiful and simple, photos from this Island are used for some very popular posters, I have an enormous one on my wall. J.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

Ian - Ha ha very witty I don't think! At least I am not a chicken about going. Have you bought your tide table yet?

... but anyway yes you are right Hilbre any day for me is pretend Maldives paradise. Bliss even when grey, wet and wild like this morning.

Wid

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

It's on my "must do" list when we're off end of March :-)

South Wales
Level Contributor
928 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

Urghhhh...grey wet and wild here in Chepstow too

Debs

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

Good question debs and one that is topical here at the moment. We were debating the Maldives for this Sept. then we decided we'd perhaps leave it 'til May 2013 and perhaps go a little more expensive. Then we looked at the Caribbean for Sept. but have now realised we can do a "cheaper" island for the same money.

But, as you say, how low do you go? And are those cheap islands really that bad? I know many of us would be happy with the old style, no news, no shoes Maldives but do we want ropey rooms, no reef, no beach, close to Male resorts? After all, what does that leave? Sun. Warm water. Both available 2 or 3 hours away for a fraction of the cost.

So for us it's got to be better than Club Faru, Biyadhoo, Hudhuranfushi etc etc. Fihalhohi, Eriyadu, Embudu?

Don't know......the debate continues.

John

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

I made a joke to my beloved quite recently that I think you could give me a tent, a weeks worth of food/water, a camping stove and my snorkeling kit and dump me on a sand spit and I would be happy! I actually have no problem with the budget end islands and fully expect there to be a time when these are really the only feasible options open to me.

I guess it depends why you travel to the Maldives and what it is about that destination that appeals to you so much? For me, it's what is going on underwater, not what's above. I don't go to the Maldives seeking isolation or Michelin starred food or a bedroom to rival something out of ideal homes magazine. I go because when I am in that sea I am back in my happy place where the rest of the world could be going to pot and I would neither know nor care. At the moment I think I am still 'grateful' that we have the disposable income to be able to afford a decent 4* resort and that's why we pick those islands but if it came to the crunch and it was either a 3* basic island or not going.....well you can gather what my answer would be.

I remember seeing a late deal for Fihalhohi last year and it was around £1,000 per person for 2 weeks FB and my jaw hit the table, that's a real bargain and gives me hope that we will still be able to continue visiting the Maldives for some time to come :)

South Wales
Level Contributor
928 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

Yes it's ( for me ) a never ending question. I keep bouncing between the Caribbean and the Maldives. It seems that increasingly though, the Caribbean is becoming ever more expensive and I don't really want all the butler service etc just the sea and beach but sense of peace that the Maldives delivers.

I went to a four star a couple of years ago but to a three ( two??) star last year and there wasn't £2000 worth of difference quite frankly.

I think that with a budget that make you chose between pretty good Caribbean and very modest Maldives I always head east.

I spend way too much time checking prices, websites and forum postings but - I guess that if the bargain that I'm looking for comes up then it's all systems go.

Debs

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives or Herne Bay?

so well said, jody ... i would need a few tanks each day ontop of the snorkeling kit - but beyond that, i am right with you.

the thing that bemuses me about people needing the perfect room .. i always think .. if a room that looks just like that was so important to me ... for the 25k i spend going to the maldives .. i could simply renovate a room in my home to look like that - and then spend a lot of time in it :)

i still see people gushing about "the flatscreen" in reviews ... i mean .. seriously .. haven't flatscreens been the norm in people's homes for years now? when i say "tv", i sure don't mean one of the old boxy things. most of us have all the toys at home .. i have absolutely no problem leaving them behind for a couple of weeks .. and if there is a tv show i really cannot live without .... well i simply set the DVR to record. nothing like keeping your mind from entering "maldivian bliss" than watching the usual political programs as back home