We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts named in Boycott call

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Resorts named in Boycott call

Some resorts have been named as those which could be boycotted following the recent coup;

dhonisaurus.com/news/maldives-faced-ethical-…

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

Interesting article and very timely in light of the recent discussions.

On a lighter note, fortunately none of those islands were on our "to do" list:))

South Wales
Level Contributor
945 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

Ah, the long fingers of corruption reach further than we can imagine. It's not a new situation but deserves some considerable attention if we are to continue to holiday without apparent forethought.

I'm a little concerned that there are not more reply's to this post - I guess that it's not so interesting as ' How many day's yoo hoo?? '

Debs

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

I already mentioned this in my previous reply to a concerned traveller who was going to cancel their imminent trip. The list of 'islands to avoid' was frequently mentioned on the forum before the elections.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

Hi Karla

The problem with this is that virtually all the island resorts are linked to previous and current government figures far more comprehensive than the list offered on the link- certainly the huge company that owns among many others Kuramathi

Regards

Doug

england
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

Saw the list in I think the Telegraph or Guardian a few days ago. None of the islands specified are on my to do list either. I thought about cancelling my holiday booked in May but then self interest or me me me came over me. Not sure if I am ashamed of myself.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

Well, yes, I also thought as islands are owned by government anyway and then leased to others, are we just kidding ourselves ...

We have not cancelled our Mirihi holiday either

Lebanon
Level Contributor
242 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

The problem with boycotts, sanctions and other restrictions, is that they invariably affect the victims of the power abuse. How affected wil the head of the concerned political party or the vice president be if people boycotted their resorts. They would probably end up firing some of their staff whose families rely on the income they generate and they themselves would carry on and engage in other corrupt activity to enrich themselves while their people suffer.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

Tino... true but look at when a government imposes sanctions on a foreign power, like the brit govt sanctions on Iraq, pre-war. Undoubtedly the people suffered, as did the people in Libya who Britain had sanctions for years. (but then Libya eventually climbed down and trade was restored). I suppose just like governments impose sanctions on countries which have dodgy politics or human rights abuses, individuals also boycott countries (and maybe resorts). I know there are countries that I will never visit because I do not agree with what is going on inside that country and no doubt the collective withholding of the dollar in those countries impact on the lives of their citizens. Tough. If the politico/religous situation deteriorates in the Maldives to the point of extremist politics and zealous Muslim/Islamist religious activities such as alcohol/pork/spa bans (as an example of what actually happened - briefly in the case of Spa's and could have happened in the case of alcohol), then all the nice fishes in the world would not draw me back to the Maldives.

Lebanon
Level Contributor
242 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

Yes Paul, I agree that there are more than one way to look at this. I personally am alot less likely to visit Malaysia in the future after seeing how they have destroyed their rainforests between two visits that I made ten years apart. But on the other hand the general population in a country like Cuba, that allows not rights or freedom to their populations are generally very happy to have tourists even though the US still imposes sanctions on the country because they believe that every $ spent there would help the current regime stay in power. Basically I would favor other ways to dissuade criminals and tyrants from doing their damage.

10. Re: Resorts named in Boycott call

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:41