We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

Hello, I need help comparing the 3 islands in terms of romance, privacy, luxury, food, ambiance, service, island beauty, views, beach and pool, and accommodation. The accommodation in question is Beach Villa in Dhigu, Over water Bungalow in Veli and Lagoon Villa in Lily. We should be staying for 4 nights in May or June with no kids.

Thank you

Mooksy

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

Some advice PLEASE!

Lebanon
Level Contributor
242 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

I can recommend Lily beach very highly for great service, good food and incredible snorkeling. I haven't stayed at the other two, but friends of mine went to the sister island Naladhu last november and were blown away by the luxury and service they got. Food, drink and some activities(which can be quite expensive in the Maldives), are included at lily and not anantara so the cost of the holiday will be significantly higher there.

One drawback of anantara is that the reef is further out if you want to snorkel and you need to be taken out there by boat. Lily you can just get in the water from almost any part of the island and the reef is no more than 25 meters away. If you're not a very strong swimmer, you can snorkel on the inside part of the reef in the lagoon (not the lagoon villa side though).

Another drawback/advantage of anantara would be it's proximity to Male. You may be able to see the city and the industrial island(not sure), though for a short stay the transfer by speedboat should give you more beach time as sea-plane transfers may take a bit longer.

Hope this helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

Hi. We were on Naladhu last week. Absolutely fab in everyway.

As the other poster mentioned the reef is accessible by boat from dhigu and veli which are opposite Naladhu around the same lagoon.

This reef is not that special at all. If lily beach has been recommended to have a good reef then I would say go there.

We are now on Vabbinfaru and are snorkelling Angsana next island over. Fab reef.

Not sure how far lily is from male but Angsana may be a possibility if your only staying 4 nights.

And yes male is in the distance but nothing like as close as some posters say it is. Have a fab time were ever you end up.

Roll on Maldives 2013 (-;)-<

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

Thanks a lot TinoA, that was VERY helpful. We have now narrowed it down to Lily and Veli. We definitely want to snorkel but it's not really an important factor in our decision.

We really like Lily but we have some concerns about it being more of a family resort and we prefer an island that is more on the quiet side. Another drawback might be the lack of dining options since you get only one a la carte meal at Tamarind then the rest of the meals will all be at Lily Maa.

Any input on this?

Lebanon
Level Contributor
242 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

Hi Mooksy78, while we were at Lilly last June, there were a few children but we hardly even noticed them and we certainly didn't get the impression we were in a family resort. As kids are not allowed in either water villas or lagoon villas, I think you can safely assume that the atmosphere will be a balanced mix of both families and couples.

With regard to food, we had lunch at Lily maa only once. The other days we ate either at the AQVA or Vibes bars. Both were pleasant and had reasonably varied menues, so it was only at dinner that we were at Lily Maa, but the as the theme changed each day we were actually looking forward to each meal to see what it was going to be like.

I expect anantara will be alot more luxurious and if that's important to you then that should factor in your decision. But on the above points I don't think you'll be bothered.

If you're open to other suggestions, our first trip to the Maldives we stayed at Baros, very luxurious, good house reef, excellent food and no children. Downside, you'd be close to Male, but it didn't stop us from having a great time.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

between these two - lily beach without a moment's hesitation

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

Hi jacable

Any news on the renovations at Ihuru - I understand they are closing in April - not sure when they plan re-open - I thought I was told September but not sure.

Any information gratefully received as would love to go in Sept/Oct but don't want to risk it not being complete!

Thanks

FF

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

Thanks a lot everyone for your help.

TinoA, we certainly care about luxury, but at least from the reviews and pictures I've seen, Anantara Veli doesn't seem to be more luxurious than Lily. Actually, Lily's Lagoon Villas actually look better than the overwater bungalows at Anantara and so does the rest of the rest of the resort. Furthermore, the views from Veli's bungalows seem to be not so great as there are other bungalows in site, in addition to the other close islands around. I am usually not a big fan of AI but Lily's Platinum plan is actually great, one of the best I've seen. So no problem there.

As for Baros, unfortunately it's over budget and the proximity to Male is a big turn off for us. I overlooked several islands simply cos they were close to either Male or Rubbish Island. It's our first trip to the Maldives and I don't really want anything to disrupt the beautiful views.

I guess we're edging closer towards Lily now.

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

Spammie, based on my good island criteria in the first msg above, would you recommend other resorts that fall in the same price category?

Thank you

Maldon,Essex
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anantara Dhigu, Veli or Lily Beach

Funkyfins.

I'll ask and report back for you.

Just got back from ihuru. The reef gets better every year.

Don't think you could better it.

Laters. Lunch is calling.

Jacable