We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.


Leeds, United...
4 posts
Save Topic

A couple of weeks ago I was about to book either Biyadhoo or Hudhuran Fushi for two weeks in November through Kuoni, but decided to hang on as I knew I would find out this week if I had received a bonus at work, which I knew might put Vilamendhoo in our price bracket. Well, I found out today that I will receive said bonus, and have excitedly gone to book the holiday, only to find the prices have gone up and Vilamendhoo is once again out of our price range. My own fault entirely as I now realise there was a sale on at the time, but I am really peeved! So I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice- am I best to book Biyadhoo or Hudhuran Fushi (through gritted teeeth), or as the holiday isn't for a few months, see if I can wait for another deal/sale?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gutted

Personally I would wait but if you can perhaps advise your budget and requirements the forum may be able to offer some alternative islands?

If you are looking to go May/June and are fairly flexible then you might be able to snap up a great deal - especially Fihalhohi?

Level Contributor
392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gutted

What a disapointment. If you have your heart set on Vila, have you considered going at a different time of year?

I have been looking at vila for between Late August and November this year and am waiting for prices to come back at the moment. I have contacted a few agents and am prepared to barter to get a decent deal but am still looking for the average at the moment with the best flight times.

Vila is a lovely island, with great snorkelling and fantastic staff.

Others will be along soon with other great ideas and other islands you could choose...good luck.


Edited: 05 March 2012, 21:02
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gutted

I know exactly how you feel. A few years ago we were all set to book Mirihi and for some reason we delayed our decision. A week later when went to book our holiday, Mirihi had disappeared from the tour operator's listing. It didn't reappear for some months by which time the price had risen considerably and we could no longer aford it.

If you would like to give us an idea of your budget we could easily give you some suggestions.


Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gutted

Yorkshire_Lass_Puds - I feel for you. I've found out today my bonus has been delayed to April (and not even signed off yet!) so all my holiday plans are on hold again for at least 6 weeks :(

Have you tired looking at other travel companies as normally Kuoni is one of the more expensive websites?

I personally would take the chance and wait and see if there a sale or prices come down as I wouldn't settle for a 'second best' island unless I really have too!

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gutted

all I would say is there is a big difference between Biyahdoo and Vilamendhoo,, having been to both twice now , love them both but vila is a step or two up from Biya.

Biya - cheap , tired , good reef and small but rooms are tired and its basic

Vila, - excellent house reef, rooms very well presented , good facilities, modern , good and varied selection of food.

So depending on your priorities Biya might not be for you


Level Contributor
3,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gutted

I know for a fact that Fiha's prices go up and down like a yo-yo on First Choice's website. They are not exactly flavour of the month I know but if you don't mind going from Gatwick it may be worth watching. We paid £1500 for 2 weeks HB at Fiha last March and after we had booked, the price varied through the year from a low of £1250 to an unbelievable £1750 +

Crazy, man?.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 08:56
West Midlands
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gutted

Take the chance and wait to see what sale/offers come up. I agree with SG in regards to not settling for a second best Island. I wouldn't want to spend 2 weeks on Hudhuran Fushi! Id rather wait for sure.

Good luck with it, keep your eyes peeled for that offer that will have your name on it :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gutted

I dimly recall reading, not neccesarily on here, about the vagaries of on-line pricing dependent on certain days of the weeks, and susceptability to buying or some other marketing ploy etc...

On another current thread a poster is planning his " once in a lifetime" trip in june and there appeared to be a few good deals ,

I often check the online , dreaded thomson/FC late deals, planning ahead and they certainly do change , If you are not too fussy about the Island you want and happy to take a chance with them it may be worth waiting,

Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gutted

What is your total budget and would you drop to 10 or 12 nts to fit in a better choice of islands in budget .

As sg says Vila is a different league to Biya in kerb appeal and rooms are really lovely . In South Ari too .

But I preferred the feel of Biyadhoo and the open space around the island ,much better beach ,reef very good too .

Only 90 rooms compared to double that on Vila .

I would go back to Biyadhoo but not Vilamendhoo .

Didn't have a bad holiday in fact enjoyed Vilamendhoo but after returning home realized it wasn't quite as good . For the price I paid it was good value too but gone up considerably now .


Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gutted

You would go back to Biya, Andy? And when might that be? ;-)