We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

musing over prices

England
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
musing over prices

Having been to the Maldives several years ago, I have always wanted to return but alas can not see there ever being a chance I can. Is it just me or are the prices so rediculously high? I know it is a special place but surely the prices are extreme??? Or have things changed so much since I last went that it's fair? Just musing over this and wondering what the opinions of others are. In the meantime I suspect my wish to return will remain just a distant dream.

Maz

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: musing over prices

Hi Maz

Prices have increased dramatically in recent years and personally I don't think it's warranted. Even very basic islands have hiked their prices with no discernable improvement in facilities. As long as there are people willing to part with their hard earned cash, I guess they will continue to squeeze as much as possible out of them.

SL

England
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: musing over prices

Glad it's not just me SL. Whilst I recognise that it isn't a bog standard holiday destination that you should be able to get to like other places, it seems a shame that such a small number of people will get to experience some places in our world.

Maz

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: musing over prices

prices are nuts. But Biyadhoo remains affordable IMO,

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: musing over prices

Fihalhohi is another Island you can often get good deals on, but it is only FB so you need to budget for drinks. I think I have seen two weeks for around £1,150 FB.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: musing over prices

According to the Maldive Resort Workers blog, visitor numbers are down for the last quarter. With the recent well publicised troubles in Male, it may well be that visitor numbers continue to drop. This could lead to one or two resorts offering discounts to increase occupancy rates. Can't see it happening at many other than the budget resorts who probably need to run at close to maximum occupancy to make their money.

Apparently some of the Asian market are a little more worried about the troubles than we are in the UK.

Might be worth keeping an eye on it.

Which would be quite typical seeing as we've just booked.

John

England
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: musing over prices

I hope so. As a teacher I can only go in school holidays so sadly I don't get to go when the offers are on. It is still sad that those who are in charge are pricing their way out of hard working people's lives. I suspect the locals don't see most of it - but that is just a guess.

Maz

Surrey
Level Contributor
121 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: musing over prices

It is true. The prices have gone mental. This April could see my family on our lat visit.... Sob!

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
128 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: musing over prices

we have been visiting the Maldives on and off for a few years - been 4 times so far and going to Biyadhoo in June. We started off going to Kurumba in January and last time went to Eilladhoo in May, so the star rating of our holidays have gone down and we have moved from high to low season. Also we do not go every year.

However it is paradise and when we were looking at where to go away this summer the price we got to go to Biyadhoo AI for 10 days was comparable with going to the med in a 5 star for 2 weeks. To us nowhere can beat the Maldives, brilliant blue sea, teaming with fish and great hospitality. I feel lucky that we have managed to visit paradise so many times,and fingers crossed we may be able to go again after this year;s visit, but who knows!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: musing over prices

When we first went to Biyadhoo it cost about £1800 for two weeks FB for the two of us in February, flying non-stop with Sri Lankan.. Now, about 5 years later, the same holiday is double that.

OD

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
128 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: musing over prices

I think we also have to appreciate that nearly everything in the Maldives is imported. As we know here in the UK prices just keep rising, so I am sure the resorts can only absorb higher costs for so long