We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad News!!!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bad News!!!!

Hi

I've put through a booking for Athuruga for the beginning of May but they have no availability now!

Some help please, would you suggest going with Thudufushi, a different island or Athuruga towards the end of May when the monsoon is likely to change :*(

Cheers

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad News!!!!

Thudufushi would be just as good and is usually a little bit cheaper. The water villas are supposed to be slightly better than Athuruga but the beach bungalows are the same.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad News!!!!

thudufushi in early may would be my choice ... i prefer athuruga between the two but they are sister islands and very similar. weather in late may can be pretty dicey

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad News!!!!

The set up at Thudufushi is essentially identical to Athuruga: same beach villas, water villas etc. I'd happily go to Thudufushi.

OD

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad News!!!!

Thanks for the replies, is the reef and snorkelling just as good?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad News!!!!

the reef and snorkeling are different, insofar as thudu is on the outside of the atoll , while athuruga is sheltered on the inside. thudu has more in the way of larger fish and is a bit more dramatic, with some current and all the marine life that thrives under these conditions. athuruga's reef is more gentle and serene - for lack of a better description. both are great and will keep you more than busy for 2 weeks.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad News!!!!

Hello Eeyore

There definitely is availability on Thudufushi throughout May - not sure why you are being told otherwise.

I would warn you however that Kuoni's price is always lowest as they can lose the Euro payment (the island charges Tour Operators in Euros) through their European outlets.

It could be that Kuoni have sold their allocation and to now get a room you will need to look elsewhere.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad News!!!!

Richard

It's Athuruga that doesn't have availability in May. Thudufushi seems to be OK.

OD

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad News!!!!

Thanks Spammie good descriptions, Athuruga's reef sounds more appealing to me :*(

Thanks Richard,

We put throught a booking request for Athuruga for 3rd May (2 weeks) it came back as no availability...

The choices now are to go with Thudufushi (they have availability 3rd May) or decided on a different island all together, we did have our hearts set on Athuruga...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad News!!!!

Haha thanks OD :)

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad News!!!!

Richard I think he was saying Athuruga has no availability for early May but Thudufushi does .

So should he go to Thudufushi or wait till the end of May when Athuruga does have availability .

It is a complete gamble with the weather monsoon could be earlier or later .

Early May is generally considered a safer bet .

As Spammie says Thud is on the outer edge of the atoll ,West side ,so maybe not as calm seas especially if the South West wind starts that is why I picked Athuruga for early -mid May

It is your choice in the end not a lot in the Islands .

Andy

Edited: 08 March 2012, 18:22