We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for a Honeymoon in Maldives

Thane, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Questions for a Honeymoon in Maldives

Hello,

My name is Sneha and I from India. I am planing a honeymoon trip with my husband to Maldives. Being in India, we are not going to Maldives for the warm climate but to have some privacy and enjoy the water. I have seen many reviews and read many forums and the result - sheer confusion! Therefore, I thought better to ask a question in the forum.

This is our first time in Maldives and we want to spend some memorable time there. Our total budget is around 7000USD inclusive for:

- a weeks stay

- few water rides (jet ski, snorkelling, sunset/dolphin cruise) or anything that does not require swimming.

- candlelight dinner or private island dinner

- including the food expenses

And yes, drinks are not required at all so that is not a requirement.

Our requirements:

1) A secluded island with lots of privacy (such that the music from our room does not go to the other rooms) and good view.

2) We prefer a beach villa with private pool and good view of the ocean (for obvious reasons.)

3) I am not a hard core non veggie so I would prefer good veggie or Indian menu. Although, I am open to Egg and chicken menus as well.

4) A resort with few musical/entertainment nights

I would like to know the following:

1) Is it mandatory to know swimming? I have done snorkelling before in Malaysia and do know basic swimming.

2) What is the best time to go to the Maldives?

3) The best island/resort within out budget and requirement.

4) The Maldives visa is on entry?

All the replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sneha.

London
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for a Honeymoon in Maldives

1) Is it mandatory to know swimming? - It is mandatory to know swimming if you plan to swim. I am inferring that since you have done snorkelling before, then you know basic swimming. But I am also inferring from your question in the first place that your swimming is weak. It is important to for weak swimmers to be very careful. First, it is 'ocean' swimming which is more dangerous than pool swimming for obvious reasons. Secondly, weak swimmers can spend more effort and concentration on their swimming and less on what they are doing and hence tend to hit and damage corals. You are not going to become a great swimmer in a short period before your visit so I would suggest that when you go snorkelling you arrange for a someone from the resort or dive centre to accompany you. They will make sure you go some place suited to your abilities and will help you as you need it.

2) What is the best time to go to the Maldives? - February has the lowest rainfall and most sun...but as a result it is also one of the most expensive periods.

3) The best island/resort within out budget and requirement. - You might be able to pull off W Retreat within your budget which would definitely tick all your boxes (secluded, snorkelling, ample water sports including jet ski, lots of musical entertainment, private island dining, private pool with view of the ocean). Might be a bit of a stretch budget-wise but definitely worth a look. The other one that I think ticks all of your boxes, and should be a bit more in your price range, is Iru Fushi (I don't know what kind of entertainment they have, but you can probably check that out in the TA review of it).

4) The Maldives visa is on entry? - My understanding is that the Maldives issues a 30 day visitor visa free on entry to al nationalities. Check online to be sure.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Edited: 09 March 2012, 11:14
Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for a Honeymoon in Maldives

Hi Sneha

I agree with all of Bruce's comments.

Can I suggest you come back to us with an intended travel month - the forum can then suggest which islands may then suit your budget.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Thane, India
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for a Honeymoon in Maldives

Thank you for the replies. We have not yet decided on the date. Budget wise i would prefer May-June or September-November. Is that wise? Also, how is Kuaramathi? W looks a bit over budget to me.

Thank you.

4. Re: Questions for a Honeymoon in Maldives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:41