We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longest house reef in the Maldives?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Longest house reef in the Maldives?

Can anyone answer this question? I know VIlamendhoo's is about 900 metres but there are probably longer ones, on more expensive islands? Real experts needed here! Already planning for 2013/2014/2015...definitely got Maldivirus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

Baros

London
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

Once can do it mathematically by simply taking the largest resort circumference where there is a proper house reef (ie. not just sand). The problem is that there is an issue of 'quality' as well as the 'quantity' of metric length. Quality considerations include...

1. Reef quality (good fish, good coral).

2. Reef proximity (is it reasonable accessible or very far from shore...a big 'reef' might be the result of a broad table making it hard to access which also contributes to...

3. Reef ease (a big reef might be very exposed to detracting currents).

For example, Kuramathi has one of the largest house reefs in pure circumference, but it is broken up (certain parts are not good nor accessible).

It wouldn't be Baros which is on 300 metres in diameter as an island and good chunks of the circumference do not a have much drop-off or coral.

Considering the largest islands with reasonable house reefs (not an exhaustive review), I would hazard that Filitheyo is one of the longest (but good portions of it are very far from shore) as one side alone is over 900 metres long.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

That's really helpful - I've thought about Filitheyo; it's just in our budget. Am I right in thinking Vilamendhoo's reef is relatively long? I'm not bothered about the reef being close to the shore as I'm happy to swim out a couple of hundred metres or so as long as there are no boats in between the reef and the shore!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

Hmm,,does the length really matter? Is it not more about the quality? ( no jokes please people about size mattering!!)

Meedhupparu is a large island and the house reef goes all the way round, but not sure being the longest is really the most important factor? It does not mean it's the best,,, if the reef is primary important to you, then would it not be more quality over quantity?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

Hi

I tend to agree with Froggy: not sure why?

However, according to the excellent MondoMaldives I would suggest Soneva Fushi probably comes close. The reef surrounds the island which is large: 1400m x 400m.

OD

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

Hi Xaria

I would recommend Filitheyo having recently come back long and excellent reef wouldn't quibble about distance from the shore never that far but in any case 8 entry and exit points with nearest just a few metres out.My review should be up shortly

Regards

Doug

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,893 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

Vilamendhoo's reef is good for long stretches down both sides of the island. And mostly very close to the beach with several entry points. You can see on aerial shots.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

OD...are you not sure why you tend to agree with me? Hubby says it's easier than arguing:))

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

Froggy

Lol! After 37 years of marriage I too have learned it is best not to argue!!

I phrased my post very badly: I was attempting to agree with your "not sure why length is important" comment but it clearly doesn't read that way.

I'll try and do better next time. :-)

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Longest house reef in the Maldives?

Looks like mrs d has done a fine training job over the last 37 years:))