We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hard times call for drastic measures !!!

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
hard times call for drastic measures !!!

lol

this seems a bit much, will no doubt have an effect on the tourist numbers if they do - 6% bearable even just at 8% but 15??- unfortunately it will be staff who ultimately lose out as tips would get smaller.

minivannews.com/politics/imf-predicts-dire-c…

Edited: 03 April 2012, 15:24
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

If and when it goes up to15% it's thank you Maldives and goodnight from me. That'll add at least £1k to a holiday cost for us, and as much as I love the place, it's a step too far.

Ian

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

Hope these well paid civil servants, who apparently received a 66% increase in pay over 2 years have got their tourism figures right !

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

Oh dear. I would probably hedge my bets saying the IMF would be right and not the Maldives tourism minister. As such, that's worrying for them.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

A possible increase in GST, reintroduction of import duties, and increase in bed tax! There's a fair chance that next year may be our last trip to the Maldives because the rate of price hikes will soon mean they're not value for money - especially if the lower end resorts also become relatively expensive.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

Surely they wouldn't dare? It would surely just dig them into a deeper hole with fewer tourists than ever. It would certailnly be the end for us.

Wid

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

Both the government and resort owners seem intent on hiking the cost of Maldives holidays. Surely there'll come a point when it's counterproductive and even people with high holiday budgets start to feel it's not worth it.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

Exactly.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

Timing has to be a relevant factor, I think most , if not all the new , resorts , those in the pipe line and old makeovers are all heading more and more upscale,

The powers that be , must be sure that there will be good profits from these, they may well be right in the short term, but bit of a gamble, in these economic uncertain times.

Reading that article they've rather dug a hole for themselves

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

Plus aren't overall bookings down on last year anyway? Putting prices up still further isn't exactly going to encourage people is it?

Ian

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hard times call for drastic measures !!!

Reading the article it appears to be the IMF not the Maldivian Govt that are suggesting these increases. Mind you, if the Govt can't or won't introduce an austerity budget and reduce spending then I suppose they have to find another way of getting out of the red. I'm suprised at the IMF - I had always felt they were a voice of reason and common sense, but these suggestions don't seem to take account of the fact that even tourists are having to tighten their belts, and that these measures might be the straw that broke the camel's back with regards to the Maldives as a holiday destination. There again, maybe not - there do still seem to be plenty of oligarchs or whatever the latest term is, around, ready and waiting to spend their money.

SL

Edit: What are they spending all their money on? They must be raking it in, so how come we all still see the Maldives as a 3rd world country?

Edited: 03 April 2012, 18:42