We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
323 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

Hi,

I'm looking into visiting in mid June and I'm wondering if anyone can help with choosing a resort..

I am traveling with spouse and 1 yr old (no need for the whole baby discussion, we're in the area and decided we want to go, we have travelled with our lil one around the globe..)

Our options are wither staying at the hyatt where we have 2-4 free nights (might pay to upgrade to better room), or stay at conrad in the beach villa, astoria might be another option..

We are looking for a very quiet place, where we can swim alone without anyone around.. privacy is paramount.

This is probably funny to say, but as a photography enthusiast I would like one of the more picturesque places, but I suppose they are all the same?!

Can anyone point me to any advantages the conrad may have over the hyatt? Are there cheaper/better activities?

Hyatt does not entail a seaplane, is that a big miss?

If you have any other suggestions which may fit what we're looking for please let me know.

Budget isn't great about $650 a night.. Thanks

australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

I can't compare but I have to say Conrad's beach villas are very good with a baby. We went when mine was 6 months old and he crawled around quite happily . The beach pool villas are even better (we upgraded while there)We found the resort a great choice with a baby and felt very safe and they had a great dr clinic there to. Not that bub needed it I did.

Ive been to a few islands and i have to say Conrad is extreenly beautiful. I'm not just talking accommodation but it's spread out over two islands connected by a bridge. Beautiful soft white beaches.. It's barefoot luxury. If u can get Conrad in budget I doubt you would be disappointed. Just allow a fair budget for food and drink .

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

another vote for the conrad as being my favorite in the luxury class... also , as far as photography is concerned, you will find nice subjects on all 3 of your choices but the conrad's setting is spectacular.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

Out of the 3 I would plump for Conrad. It fits your bill including your baby and many photographic opportunities.

......AG

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

Oh ... Forgot to mention, yes not having a seaplane is a big miss. It's an definite highlight of your holiday and you really don't want to

OSS photographing those coral ringed islands from the air ......

......AG

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

Oh ... Forgot to mention, yes not having a seaplane is a big miss. It's an definite highlight of your holiday and you really don't want to

miss photographing those coral ringed islands from the air ......

......AG

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
323 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

Hyatt seems like a very private island and also very beautiful with great snorkeling, will I be missing on that by going to conrad?

Seems like prices in conrad are much cheaper in June (when I'm going) then July/Aug when they're almost double ($1000) for cheapest room...

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

That is probably because it is the UK school holidays in Jul/Aug where everything is more pricey. Bit like when we went to Fiji in Sept when it was pretty expensive due to Oz school holidays!

Not been to Hyatt so can't comment on that one .....

....AG

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

Hi

All very American type resorts very glitzy little to do with the true Maldives experience can be had in Dubai and various places around the world. Prices are cheap because you are in the rainy season Whatever turns you on really

Regards

Doug

9. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2012, 13:15
Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help choosing between Hyatt, Conrad Waldorf or perhaps other

Dear Allan S

I have been to the island when it was called Beach House and as I have mentioned before on here it's without doubt my least favourite Maldivian Island. Luxurious yes but then intrusive water bungalows,challenging snorkelling, less than special beach,poor swimming, large pool and enormous and largely unused bar dominating the frontage. Island opposite that was used for dumping during and after construction.When travelling to that part Island Hideaway is infinitely superior. Each to his own

Regards

Doug