We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

Ok so, first of all, we have been to Filitheyo already a few times, and we love it. Amazing reef, large numbers of species of fish and many turtles and rays, amazing food, great villa's both garden and water.

BUT

We were thinking this year we really must try out a different place.

so we set as a priority - see a Whaleshark and Mantas

so question,

in which of the above resorts(i know Filitheyo doesn't) has a bigger chance of seeing whale sharks in a snorkeling trip? (i guess, to see a whaleshark around the house reef is probably asking too much. lol) ?

(We will be going end of May or end of October)

and besides the whalesharks, how is the rest of the resort compared to Filitheyo?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

Mirihi.................that is all!

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

I beg to differ Jody....see this post from kanthony at Conrad Rangali on another current thread....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298324-i9419-k5…

John

Edited: 17 April 2012, 06:10
france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

shawn - suppose that depends on if you want to spend £3000, £5000 or £8000 on this holida y !!

altho think the chances of whaleshark at fiha will be slim !!!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

cassie: dont mind spending 3k or 8k as long it's well spent.

Thanks John, no offense to Conrad fans, but seen pictures and videos, and the island is a bit too crowded and has a bit too many boats and jet skis going around, not our kind of thing. (unless of course you say its the only place to see whale sharks while snorkeling. lol )

right, so like Jody mentioned, out of these, Mirihi it is then?

Edited: 17 April 2012, 08:15
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

MIrihi is in a different class to theother two - but this does come at a price. However, if you can afford it then go for it. My daughter had her honeymoon there last August and saw whales sharks on a snorkelling trip.

Have you checked out the current thread about underwater pictures from Mirihi?

OD

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

Have a look on FLICKR Shawn, some amazing pics there, many are in my favourites!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

Deep down, I think you already know the answer to this one Shawn....

From my limited knowledge on the subject (being as I've yet to find a Whaleshark) is that you would have the best chance staying S.Ari atoll, followed some distance behind by somewhere in Baa atoll with access to Hanifaru.

Access to Hanifaru is somewhat restricted these days, and I believe there is no diving. Snorkel trips are also limited, and when we were there last July everyone had to wear lifejackets to prevent freediving etc. Did I mention we didn't see a Whaleshark? loads of Manta Rays though :-)

Ian

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

Having been on whale shark and manta trips from both Vilamendhoo and Mirihi I would say that you have a better chance from Mirihi. On the Vilamendhoo trip the boat was very full and by the time that 20 people had jumped into the water, pretty much most sea life was scared off. You either have to be one of the first few people into the water or hold back and wait for everything to calm down and creatures to be be spotted elsewhere after the initial flurry. Saying that, though, my husband did manage to see both whalesharks and a manta from the Vilamendhoo trip. I was too slow getting off the boat!

The following week we went on the trip from Mirihi, on their beautiful boat with far fewer people (about 8 - 10), and it was a far, far more pleasurable experience (and a gorgeous lunch). We managed to spend far more time with three whalesharks and saw about 20-25 mantas (some pics on the other thread started by me).

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

Definitely Mirihi if it's in budget .

Angaga is in the same area too .

We stopped at conrad to pick people up last year . Must admit I didn't like the look of it that much .

Andy

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fihalhohi? Mirihi? orVilamendhoo?

Jody: thanks, will sneak around your favs in flickr :)

and yea, i saw pictures cakestin uploaded, love them.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

So it is decide, Mirihi it is for our next trip.

Now the next question, when is the best time to see Whalesharks? :)