We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
Save Topic
Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Hi

I am travelling to Maldives in May - but this time with my young family.

While I have personally 'suffered' many trips to this beautiful country neither my wife Jess or young boys have ever been to where Daddy calls work.

I just wanted to share the excitement of finally introducing my family to the Maldives - and if any regulars are on Irufushi from 12th May, just walk over and enjoy a chat and a cold beer on me.

Once on the island I will offer a review of the house reef and snorkeling as this sometimes appears to be the only negative I can find for this island.

Later we will spend a few nights on each of the Four Seasons islands - but as I totally love these islands already then fingers crossed they will live up to my past experiences.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Have a great time. When someone like you choose Iru Fushi I feel that our choice cant be entirely wrong. We will be there in July cant wait to read what you think.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

By the way. I got a some great advise from a fellow TA about snorkling at Iru Fushi. Here they are:

The best part of the reef, and most convenient part to snorkel, is between the two jetties of water villas. Each one has a restaurant at the end, one called Flavours and one called Trio. They are on the east side of the island. At the end of the jetty there is a ladder into the water. The tide needs to be reasonably high to swim through the gaps in the wall to the drop off at the edge of the reef. If a little bit of the wall is showing it is okay to swim through. If a lot of the wall is showing, it might be a bit shallow. The tide was quite late on our last 3-4 days and we didn’t want to miss snorkelling so we got quite good at “floating” through the shallow coral!

We would walk to the end of the Trio jetty, get in the water and see if the current was going towards the Flavours jetty. It was never a strong current during our visit and was just enough to make the swimming effortless as we were carried slowly along with plenty of time for viewing. If the current was going the opposite way, we would walk back along the beach and get into the water from the end of the Flavours jetty and drift along the reef edge and get out at the Trio jetty. We never found a way of determining which way the current was drifting without walking to the end of the jetty and getting in – so there is a 50/50 chance you might have to walk around to the other jetty, but it is hardly a hardship… We never felt we were in any danger of drifting, we kept the reef on our right or left, depending on which jetty we started from and followed it around to the other jetty very easily.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Hope you all have a good trip Richard.

John

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Hope you have a fab time. You must need a holiday after all the trouble you go to looking after all of us lot and how lovely to be taking the whole family this time. You must all be sooooo excited.

Wid

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Hi Richard

Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! :-)

Hope you and your family have a great time and that they enjoy their "suffering" in the Maldives. It's a tough life but I guess someone has to do it!

OD

UK
Level Contributor
245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Wow is that a real holiday your taking RIchard? I hope you all have a fab time and your family enjoy "Daddy's work".

Edited: 23 April 2012, 21:46
Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Thankyou all for your comments and kind words.

I have never flown BA to Maldives (my colleagues have) - but my wife insisted on a direct flight - getting worried about some recent reviews of bad service and food. I hope BA can live up to the fantastic service I have received from Qatar before now.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

I flew back to the UK with BA in December, then came back to the Maldives on Qatar in Jan. BA were so much better, better food, more friendly, more generous bar service.

Have a fantastic trip though!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Richard

The food on the several BA flights we have taken has been appalling. On our outbound flights the choices were chicken and pasta or chicken and different pasta. On the inbound flights it was, unsurprisingly, chicken and pasta or chicken and pasta.

I am, of course, talking about food in the cheap seats; not the food at the sharp end.

OD

Bangkok
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 19 days to go - and yes I am excited

Hi Richard,

If you have an opening at your company, maybe you should let me know~ I wouldn't mind going to maldives for work whereas the job description is to review the islands and have some quality time~

Have a blast there!