We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seaplane delays

Killorglin, Ireland
Level Contributor
303 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
seaplane delays

hi,were still mulling over going to the maldives,but just like to ask,after reading reviews on the island we have chosen,there seem's to be alot of talk of hours delays while waiting on seaplane's is this common...thanks(meedhupparru)

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seaplane delays

Hi Jaztecc

Basically the seaplane schedules are made up to suit arrivals there is sometimes a couple of hours delay while they wait for the next international arrival to make up a load it all works very efficiently as a rule often doing a milk run dropping off passengers at various islands on the way. The seaplane terminal is a good place to chill

Regards

Doug

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,367 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seaplane delays

jaztec .. with all due respect .. you seem to worry an awful lot about the maldives ( you were upset about being expected to tip .. "dangers underwater", currents, etc) and pick only the very worst out of the reviews. might i suggest to relax a little and if you decide to go, you should do so happily and with positive expectations.otherwise .. why waste your money?

while i will be the first to say that meedhupparu would NOT be a dream destination for me and that you could find much better islands in that priceclass ... the vast majority of vacationers still enjoys it immensely and like all maldivian resorts, the reviews are uniformly great.

as for the seaplane ... on over 25 seaplane trips, the longest i have waited is a very pleasant hour. i would not be a bit upset at having to wait twice as long since you really couldn't be waiting in a more fun place. simply make sure to change clothes on the plane so you don't sweat there in a warm outfit , kick off your shoes and enjoy your surroundings. why does it matter so greatly ? you'll be on vacation.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seaplane delays

It is worth mentioning that seaplanes can be grounded in bad weather. We had around a four hour wait on our last trip.

T23

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seaplane delays

Max should be a couple of hours.,don't worry about it. Could be as little as 20 mins. Sure there is anomalies, but odds are its in that time frame.

The sea plane lounge is lovely, it's open to the water, where you can sit, have a soft drink and watch the planes take off and land. Incredibly pleasant.

Follow spammies advice and take some shorts, tshirt and flip,flops, it's hot. Oh and yes stop fretting, if the worst that can happen is you sit on a terrace overlooking the ocean, having a couple of drinks whilst waiting for a seaplane, you should be very excited...

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seaplane delays

On our last trip we had to wait for about 2.5 hours. This was because our flight was waiting for another international flight that was over an hour late landing.

If delays occur, just go with the flow, get a cold drink and watch the world go by!

OD

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seaplane delays

Sorry had to end my last post in a hurry. Cont ...

Apart from one other time when we were omitted from 'the list' (things like that happen to us) we have always got the seaplane between 20 min and around 1 hour. I would not let this put you off booking.

And as the others mention the sea plane lounge is nice and even has sunloungers.

Killorglin, Ireland
Level Contributor
303 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seaplane delays

thanks for all your replies,i'm sure that i don't worry that much, i just like to do my homework(unlike at school)you haved eased my mind with your replies all good to me,spammie, meedhupparu seem,s to be the only one available at an AI price on any irish web sit in our price range(qouted e3600 9nights)

Warrington
Level Contributor
237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seaplane delays

We had to wait for 3 hours with TMA a few weeks back. I wasn't too bothered to be fair but my wife was a bit more anxious after a couple of hours. We were told that we were waiting on 2 passengers... but when they arrived we were then told that we were waiting for another passenger.. I think they were just trying to fill the plane up a bit more to be honest. Like i said though i wasn't bothered sitting in the seaplane terminal we were both just v tired. It certainly wouldnt be enough to spoil the beginning of a beautiful holiday! :-)

Marc

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: seaplane delays

Ok this might be a stupid question, but how many lounges are there at the Sea plane terminal? - Hilton mentions they have their own lounge - if every hotel has that; that must be an awfull lot of lounges? - Or do they share them?

cardiff/wales
Level Contributor
362 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: seaplane delays

Hi Jaztecc,

Far be it fro me to burst the bubble ...

We had to wait 4 hours last time at Male!! Not the most pleasant of waits ...It took a whole afternoon away from our holiday!!! And we paid the sum of £380 which was an upgrade for this wait!!!

We were indeed waiting for 4 passengers from another flight.

We were then loaded onto our seaplane and the other passengers were dropped first to the very "upmarket" W resort.....

This time we will take the speedboat and arrive hopefully before the seaplane..

Also if i remember , they have also stopped using the air conditioning whilst on the plane it can be pretty uncomfortable..

But the view is spectacular!!!

Sue