We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of Atoll Explorer

Scotland
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
End of Atoll Explorer

After spending weeks choosing where to go in maldives Feb 2013 had picked a week on Atoll explorer followed by week athuruga. But have just seen post that atoll explorer stopping on 21st May 2012. Can anyone give me any more information. Have heard nothing from travel agent. Surprise surprise

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298324-i9419-k4…

See post 158

Scotland
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

Have just been offered a week on kurumba instead. What does anyone think. Am absolutely gutted was so looking forward to AE

Bedford
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

Having spent several afternoons on Karumba, at the beginning and end of weeks on the Atoll Explorer, I certainly would not choose to stay there. Half the island faces Male and its industrial landscape, while scruffy cargo boats ply by and planes fly overhead.

It does get some good reviews, but If you were looking forward to pretty islands and idyllic views, such as the At Ex would have afforded, I think you would be better off getting a refund and starting again.

MissF

england
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

Why not investigate extending your stay at Athuruga by a few days?

Bedford
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

Sorry, I had not noticed that you were following the At Ex with a week on Athuruga. OnOn 's suggestion is spot on. Kurumba is being suggested because like the At Ex, it is owned by Universal Resorts so if you stay there they will still get paid.. It's their problem not yours.

Scotland
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

Thanks for your help but kuoni are saying if its not kurumba it has to be something of the same standard as AE. Not sure if I would get bored on one Island for 2 weeks. Its rubbish has just totally runied my plans for silver wedding anniversary

Edited: 17 May 2012, 20:42
england
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

Cancel and rebook. Do not let them fob you off in this way. Universal cannot provide the holiday you have booked. Totally agree with MissFitts (God I love that name) you do not have to accept another Universal place. As I have already said cancel and rebook. Who is your TA? They should be advising you about this. When I contacted Travel Designers they sorted the whole thing out via Kuoni in under a day - actually in under 2 hours once I had sent them the email from Universal. I was able to cancel and just rebook and I am going in September. You have booked just before me and should be in the same position. If you have any queries that I can help you with just pm me.

Bedford
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

How are they defining 'the same standard as A E'? Is it just the cost? The A E's standard was very high, excellent All Inc, amazing cocktails etc. and lots of excursions thrown in.

What exactly are they offering on Kurumba?

Scotland
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

They told me AE was 3 star so needs to be same standard they are not taking into account the reason we booked AE in the first place. High standard, excursions and level of AI. Kurumba was superior room on standard AI. I am thinking of cancelling and booking Yaswan princess and Athruga but not sure what to do. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: End of Atoll Explorer

Hi MrsMcD

If your agent is saying that the alternative has to be 3* because AE is rated as 3*, why are they offering your Kurumba? Every brochure I've ever seen has Kurumba listed as a 5* resort.

As others suggest, I would stand your ground and don't be fobbed off.

OD