We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baros of Velassaru

London
Level Contributor
189 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Baros of Velassaru

After extensive research we've narrowed our selection down to these two but really can't make the all important final decision. We only have three days but want to be kept busy as I'm not the "relaxing" type. I'd be really helpful for anyone who has been to both to give an overview of the major differences. I can say right away that the view of the "rubbish island" in the distance of Velassaru doesn't bother me a great deal. The fact that the Baros island is so small does concern me a little bit. What I really want to know are the subtle differences between the two e.g. night time films on the beach under the stars or sting ray feeding or which has the best excursions, catering, house reefs, villas etc. Most of this I can read from the reviews, but for someone who has been to both to compare would be invaluable insight.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,900 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baros of Velassaru

neither is a favorite of mine by a long shot ... but i would say the main difference is that baros has an ok-ish housereef for snorkeling while velassaru does not

London
Level Contributor
189 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baros of Velassaru

Which are the one's you would recommend?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,900 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baros of Velassaru

between these two i would choose baros. i believe you will find that you can be busier than a senior executive for just 3 days on even the tiniest of islands. comparing excursions is a bit iffy as they are pretty much the same and most importantly, you will miss out on many of them as they run on certain days of the week.

personally, if i was to choose a resort in the male atolls , it would be cocoa island, soneva fushi or huvafen fushi. if these are out of budget , then ihuru or banyan tree.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baros of Velassaru

"busier than a senior executive" lol. That's not very busy then:))

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
573 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baros of Velassaru

Spammie...did you mean Soneva Gili?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,900 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baros of Velassaru

Bat .. no... i figure gili will likely be outside of budget. its quite a bit higher than the op's choices of baros or velassaru ... plus it has no reef . would be soneva fushi for me

Edited: 18 May 2012, 16:32
Truro, United...
Level Contributor
573 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baros of Velassaru

Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru is our favourite but there are not " thousands " of things to do...just the usual snorkelling, relaxing on the beach, spa, eating, visiting the turtle enclosures, sting ray feeding, hopping on a boat to Angsana Ihuru, chatting with friends in the bar......ooohhhh take me back....

Anyway, you only have a few days, why not take the opportunity to try and slow your life down for a liitle while and let the slow pace of Maldive life get under your skin and suck you in? You really don't want to try and cram everything in.

Baros: would not return. For us it lacked that special Maldivian charm. The villas felt too modern and soulless. The reef doesn't really extend upto the water villas so if you want good reef access you would need a beach villa. We ended up walking the length of the island every time we wanted to snorkel. Plus, we kept looking over to Banyan wishing we were over there.

Velassaru: not been, and would not wish to due to it's closeness to Male and lack of reef.

Soneva Gili: we went for our honeymoon 10 years ago ( our first Maldivian island and the start of my addiction! ) and it absolutely blew us away. Mind you back then it was so much quieter and there was much less air and sea traffic passing by.

As I said before, you have only a few days to enjoy this beautiful paradise, so slow down and soak it all in.......

London
Level Contributor
189 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baros of Velassaru

Yes, all of the resorts you mentioned are out of budget. I'd considered Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru but there were a lot of negative comments about the size of the rooms and that they needed renovating. I will have a look at Ihuru. What is it about Ihuru that makes it preferable to Baros or Velassaru?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,900 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baros of Velassaru

ihuru is more beautiful with more maldivian charm , nicer service and a better reef. baros is a "hotel" with lots of short time visitors popping in and an impersonal athmosphere. ihuru is more personal and welcoming.

as always , my subjective impressions

Edited: 18 May 2012, 16:53
London
Level Contributor
189 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baros of Velassaru

I did notice some reviews stating that service at Baros felt unauthentic. What, in your opinion, is the drawback with Velassaru?