We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

I finally know what the 'dry monsoon' actually means. It's always bugged me. It just didn't make sense to a thickie like me who thought a monsoon was something to do with heavy rain. Well, In the Sunday Telegraph today all is revealed as the weather column explains that a monsoon is a seasonal wind and that the word has nothing to do with rain at all. I can hear all of you experts and superior bods out there sighing, along with all the sad and frustrated "Oh, honestly"s but I bet I wasn't the only one ... was I? Anyone else willing to admit?

Wid (with fingernails in between my teeth!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

Is that what they get in Egypt when that awful hot dry wind blows and there are sandstorms? Doesn't seem too seasonal there, though - it's always windy! which countries did it apply to? I hadn't heard of it either.

england
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

I am happy to admit my ignorance.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

No Egypt doesn't have a monsoon season.

The Maldives, like India, has no winter and summer, just a wet monsoon from April/May until November-ish and a dry monsoon from then until March. You knew that - even I knew that! The point is, I didn't know that the word monsoon comes from an Arabic word meaning seasonal wind.

OnOn - thank God for that!

Edited: 24 June 2012, 14:39
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

I knew the Maldives had two monsoon seasons, but they always called it by different names.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

I just about manage to grasp the NE and SW monsoon concept, but someone, on one Island, tried to explain how the Maldivians split this into " Nakaiys" about 2 weeks each, each one determining, fishing , planting, harvesting , chuckling at sunburnt tourists etc......... I am afraid I lost the plot at this time and tottered off to talk to the hermit crabs,

cumbria
Level Contributor
392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

I thought monsoon was related to the rain! Never mind - Now I know, thanks Wid.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

I knew!!

But only coz it read it somewhere a couple of years ago :-)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

haha, I knew it, and I knew about Nakaiys, but then I do (did, as of last Thursday) teach Social Studies to Maldivian 12 year olds. The Nakaiys are fairly accurate, if you excuse my observer bias.

…wordpress.com/and-what-about-the-weather/

There's some brief info here, but the stuff taught in school is a bit more detailed than this

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

So can you use the Nakaiys to accurately predict the weather Laura?

You could be a millionaire if you start an "i know what the weathers going to be like in the Maldives " website!!

Just get SL to stick a link on the weather faq and you're sorted for life!

:-)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Showing ny ignorance. Always bugged me, but now I know ....

haha, I'm not that good unfortunately. They nakaiys are still quite vague. There's one in May that states "There will be 7 storms" over the two week period. And Guess What? We had 7 storms. Magic.