We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advice ?

Miami, Florida
14 posts
Save Topic
Hotel advice ?

Interested in a hotel that has a large island so I can walk a lot. Maybe if they have bicycles to rent, then that would be great. I've heard that some hotels have more turtles in the area and some raise/ farm them.

Having a good snorkeling reef would be also a bonus. Interested in $200-400 a night max for 9 days as on a fixed budget. Any advices ?

If the price may be too high but at least it has a large island, full of turtles and a good reef then its no problem. Please all advices are worth it !

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advice ?

the largest island with a good reef is vilamendhoo.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advice ?

........ but still small for walking purposes. have you thought of the UK?

Regards

Doug

Miami, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel advice ?

come on guys, some people I know have been at the maldives and they said its nice to walk at night on the beach and during the morning. And you really dont want to walk for 20 min to return to the same spot when you just had an awesome mood, ate good food and had a great time. Wont you agree Doug ?

London
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel advice ?

Kuredu is quite large and renowned for turtles (though they are best seen diving) and would probably fit your budget, but there is not much snorkelling from the beach (you have to go on excursions).

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel advice ?

Vilamendhoo is the largest island with a good reef (just about) within the budget you mention but I wouldn't exactly describe it as 'full of turtles'. They have been spotted but I didn't see any on extensive snorkelling forays.

Sun Island is so vast guests can cycle around it. I'm sure you could also see turtles if you went on a mammoth diving trip that took you right up into the atoll. Otherwise, resign yourself to just seeing fruit bats...they're almost as interesting!

Soneva Fushi is also huge and probably does have a lot of turtles on its excellent reef, but you'd need to add another zero to the room budget for that one!

Miami, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel advice ?

Xarla aside from the prices, could you please tell me the hotels which guest can cycle around ?

thanks

Harvey.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel advice ?

Island Hideaway is a huge island and has bikes but Harvey, I think you need to do a bit more research to establish whether the Maldives is the destination for you.

An evening walk on many of the islands results in exactly what you say.....20 minutes and you're back to where you started. IH is very big but the bikes are not exactly "excercise machines" to be used for sprinting. They have no brakes and the island has no roads so you would be cycling on sand. They also do not have lights and the majority of islands have very little lighting at night.

As to turtles.....they are elusive little blighters but you have the "chance" to see them on any house reef or snorkelling/diving excursion.

John

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel advice ?

Villingili, not sure of the costs though and LUX

Miami, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel advice ?

Guys what do you think of the Kuredu Hotel ?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel advice ?

Sun Island isn't a complete washout for snorkelling. Have a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk1RUZDn-DA