We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

x ray on arrival

redditch
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
x ray on arrival

Hi Can someone tell me if you have to go through a body x ray/scanner on arrival or is it just luggage and hand luggage?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: x ray on arrival

In your hand luggage?? What height were you attempting?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: x ray on arrival

Paul

Have you got one of those bottomless carpet bags that Mary Poppins carried? She had a standard lamp in hers.

OD

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
591 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: x ray on arrival

Im confused - I know it doesnt take much. Are there scanners by the xray machines on arrival? If so since when as Im bloody sure they were not there in May! Or were they and I was totally oblivious?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: x ray on arrival

They Re at the side of where you put your luggage, you put your luggage through and walk through, how come so many people are forgetting this? V weird,,,maybe I am imagining it!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: x ray on arrival

Same here, Froggy.

Maybe all these lucky souls arrive when there's no-one much around and just meander through at the same time as their hand luggage is x-rayed, not knowing they're also going through a metal detector.

Froggy, you've probably travelled with your daughter in the school hols and know (like me) that you can rarely stroll through at any time - there are sometimes interminable queues for the hand luggage x-ray and airport officials beckon you through when it's your turn to walk through the metal/whatever detector.

I think the OP is talking about full body x-rays, which obviously aren't performed.

What the Maldivian officials do focus on is making sure their machines identify alcohol 'smuggled' in hand luggage and suitcases! (Never tried this or wanted to.)

Edited: 21 August 2012, 20:21
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: x ray on arrival

Yes.possibly xarla,maybe more focused on luggage than themselves. but I am weirded out by the fact no one can remember them, I can picture it but am starting to think I may be imagining it.,,.hmmm...I don't think so....hmmm.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: x ray on arrival

You're definitely not imagining it! I've travelled abroad twice in the last month and vividly remember it at all four airports (here and there). I've heard the beeping as they go off, as well. You travel a lot for work so will have seen it all over the place too.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 21:04
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: x ray on arrival

I can't remember walking through one on arrival at Malè on any of our trips!

Edited: 21 August 2012, 21:40
Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: x ray on arrival

Hi

I can't remember any scan of the type mentioned on arrival and I would definitely notice as I have two metal on metal hip replacements and I always but always set them off at every airport I've ever visited

Regards

Doug

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: x ray on arrival

Yay!! One supposed wind-up down....one to go. :-)

Seriously folks, we cannot recall ever going through one before, and I would certainly have set it off with all the bits and bobs I seem to carry.