We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hats in the Maldives?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Hats in the Maldives?

I have had serious sun stroke in past holidays mainly on caribbean islands so now I always Don a hat. Maybe it's because I'm Roman Catholic (RC). What about everyone else?

Edited: 08 September 2012, 10:28
London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

The Maldivian sun can be very strong, you can easily get zapped!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

Too true...... It always amazes me wen I see people taking too much heat , not knowing the consequences of their actions . At least a hat gives some protection

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

I remember last year when we went to the Maldives for the first time and came out of the plane at Male airport and the heat hits you... I know we've had hot summers in England but that was something else.

I wasn't used to the heat and ended up with sun stroke and prickly heat for a couple of days. After that, suncream to the max and a cap virtually all the time. I'm "follicly challenged" so it was probably for the best...

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

I usually wear a cap on holiday, but have recently bought a floppy hat with a brim to give more protection from the sun, especially my big ears!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

I did feel the need to Don a pink straw hat once in St Lucia but it made my head feel sweaty, so I haven't bothered with them since. I didn't think being non-RC had much to do with it, Paul, but the mind works in subtle ways, so you could be right.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

I wear a straw hat. I used to wear a cap but found them too warm and does not offer protection for your ears. Btw I have small ears, my straw hat does look a bit naff, but very lightweight to pack. Sometimes we also wear bandannas.

Just to make you all jealous. I am off to Mauritius today,

T23

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

OMG, I am jealous, T23. You've only just got back from Robinson Club!

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

Whatever!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

Have a great time T23!

Before you go can you tell us why you wear bananas on your head??

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hats in the Maldives?

Ian

On the iPad so not so good at the predictive spelling, but in answer to your question I wear bananas on my head because they look ap peel ling :)