We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

Birmingham, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

Hi guys

SO thanks to the super advice on this forum Ive narrowed it down to these 2 resorts.....Now my only confusion lies with which one to pursue

Im looking to go 1st week of December (How is the weather then guys?). I value 2 things - privacy/seclusion and a gorge house reef if possible especially around the accommodation. Ideally Id love to be able to literally step out of the water villa down the stairs and swim/snorkel with the fish - my idea of bliss!!

Also how does food compare if anyone has been to both - I understand Reethi is themed nights and Meeru is buffet but from a set restaurant depending on which part of the island you stay

Another thing Id love to do is the Robinson Crusoe go away for a few hours on a desert island type thing which Meeru do - do Reethi do the same thing? Also Meeru has the sunset cruise thing and hammocks!!

My understanding is that the main differences are the accommodation at Reethi do not have a jacuzzi water villa but just a water villa BUT that Reethi has a much better house reef and maybe even the one I dream of (step of the stairs into the reef?)

As its a honeymoon the main priorities are relaxing and gorgeous views etc so watersports etc are not a priority but on a personal level Id love to snorkel.

Any tips would be very much appreciated guys and once again thankyou for making this forum great!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,916 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

weather is hard to even guess on for early december . you are up against the tail end of the rainy season. depending on when the monsoon changes this year , it could be quite unsettled .

meeru has not just a lesser housereef than reethi - it has none at all. unless you are ok with snorkel by excursion , meeru is really not a contender within your parameters.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

Reethi, Reethi, Reethi, Reethi!

No contest. Great snorkelling, fantastic beaches and the ocean there is an even more vivid turquoise than is usual in the Maldives, which is saying something.

Meeru - well, Spammie has said it all already.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

Hello

I agree - if those 2 are your only choice then it has to be Reethi.

The problem is however that all room types have at least 1 day in the first week of December which is not available. If you arrive after 5th the top 2 categories are available - or 2 days later for a Reethi Villa.

Have a great time

Cheers

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

Hi

I would say you need firstly to confirm availability at the time you want to travel as Reethi is vastly popular as Richard has already alluded to. You might want to consider splitting your days between a landbased villa and a watervilla. We spent 4 days in a Watervilla and 10 days in a beach villa there which was fine. This might secure you availability.

I have only been to Reethi (twice) but I understand Reethi trumps Meeru in that you have access to the housereef from the beach. With Meeru you can still snorkel in the lagoon but will only get access to the reef by boat. If water sports are not going to be a priority only you know whether snorkelling the reef by boat excurion is acceptable - to many avid snorkellers it's a non starter!

None of Reethi's accommodation have jaccuzzis and the WVs are semi-detached (as are a small number of the beach villas) The WVs are located over the lagoon so you will still have to swim to the reef but its not far.

Reethi has 2/3 private islands which you can hire for a picnic or dinner - I've done this from other islands but not while visiting Reethi. They also offer a sunset trip to a sandbank.

If you are planning to go AI you will eat in the main restaurant which is a buffet restaurant and puts on a different theme each night. There are a couple of other dining options but these are not included in the AI, you do however get a credit towards a meal taken there. Reethi were at one point trialling an AI option which included all dining options but I'm not sure whether this is continuing - there is no mention of it on their website. We have always gone AI and been very happy with the choice and quality of food on offer in the buffet.

On the whole if its between these two then it would be Reethi for me - but don't delay booking!

Edited: 22 September 2012, 01:39
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

Late November into the first two weeks of December is normally the change of monsoon, giving unsettled, over cast and wet weather., although still hot. Obviously rain makes visibility for snorkelling low.

Are you only going for a week? I would say you have a fairly good chance of being rained out for a couple of days if not all, although you could be lucky.

Can you go at another time...ie two weeks later or three weeks earlier? Personally, late may/ early June and late nov/ early dec are the times I would avoid, particularly if going for a week, as these are the two changes in monsoon and the most unsettled weather. As said, you could be lucky, but it's a much higher gamble than normal.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
938 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

Reethi Beach as you want to snorkel. The quantity of fish and sealife is quite astounding, you will literally be surrounded by hundreds of fish!

I too would avoid the turn of the monsoon if you can. We've been high & low season and had generally good weather but a few days of rain in a 7 day trip could spoil it. Plus it's a long way!

Food wise we went B&B and spent far less on the AI cost - see my review for more details (we travelled in June this year). The buffet was good with plenty of choice but we spent less per night at the a la carte restaurants having 2 courses (big portions!).

The island has a very casual vibe, no shoes, no bling but outstanding service and a good atmosphere.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

I've been to both. As others have said, because you're keen on the reef and snorkelling you should definitely pick Reethi as all the good snorkelling at Meeru involves a boat ride.

In terms of food I would say the buffet at Meeru was better than that at Reethi although Reethi was still good.

Reethi has a great a la carte option at the Reethi Grill where every meal was fantastic, I will request their brocolli bisque followed by the surf and turf if I ever find myself on death row! However, we did find the quality of the food in the Moodhu to be quite poor in both presentation and quality (frozen tuna and warm ice-cream!).

The only A la carte option we tried at Meeru was the Asian Wok which served up the best sashimi I've ever had. Fantastic service as well.

Overall, I definitely think Reethi sounds like it will fit your bill the best though, have a great time!

8. Re: Reethi beach vs Meeru (Honeymoon)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:16